Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a package on 4April2014 and by the 29th It was queenless. On 5May2014 I spotted 6 queencells As for the first queen she did lay a good round of initial brood in four partial frames. Today I go in and find the new queen but shes not laid an egg anywhere. Need a little input as what the next plan of action is. I do have a hive booming next to it and could donate a frame.

One last thing, I have seen no drone in either hive. There is a neighbor about a mile down the road that has a few hives, so I guess my question is how far does a queen travel to mate?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"Need a little input as what the next plan of action is."
I would probably leave the hive alone for about ten more days and then check for brood depending on my schedule and my mood.
"[H]ow far does a queen travel to mate?"
beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-237674.html. One study said at least 3,000 meters. In your general area with recent and current weather, I would not be concerned. Others might be. I hope it goes well for you.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>One last thing, I have seen no drone in either hive.

Irrelevant.

> There is a neighbor about a mile down the road that has a few hives, so I guess my question is how far does a queen travel to mate?

As far as she has to. Six or seven miles is not unheard of.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Give them, a chance the girls will surprise you at every turn.
flight101.jpg

·
Registered
378 Posts
Get more experience.
Journey not a distination... Try not to get down.. alot to learn and you will find information and support from others that are going down that road or have been there before...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! As weird as it sounds I'm kind of glad both hives didn't go perfectly. I've read a lot about queen less hives and how they behave. I got to experience something small in such a large hobby. Good times.

·
Registered
819 Posts
IMO, you'll learn more from actually keeping the hives than you will from a forum.
Forums will provide you with lots of different opinions.
What works for you will be whatever you put your mind to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went and did an inspection today. The queen is mated and larva were seen in the cells. Quite amazing creatures these are. Didn't find any evidence of a laying worker, the hive is calm a docile. All is well and thanks for your input.
A11

1 - 11 of 11 Posts