Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just went throught super duper hive and found a caped swarm cell knew it would happen . What should I do . Can't find a queen could be in there mite not . Just cant find her .
My thought pull the frame with the cell and a honey or two . and maybe another brood if I can find the queen so I don't move her . And place in a nuc box at a different location that I have bees at so there should be drones around .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What it looked like after I went through it . Didn't before . Did take me a little while to go through it .

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Looks to me like you've already got it figured out. I really like those stands. Mating Queens are believed to go much further than nearby drones.

·
Registered
211 Posts
sounds like you already know what to do, couple frames of honey/ pollen with brood, and make sure the queen is in the parent hive and not in the nuc, and if those mediums are brood you may want to consider a couple splits, with day old eggs in them,
rand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like you already know what to do, couple frames of honey/ pollen with brood, and make sure the queen is in the parent hive and not in the nuc, and if those mediums are brood you may want to consider a couple splits, with day old eggs in them,
rand.
Just wanted to double check my thoughts . The problem is I can't 100% find the queen but am pretty sure I can make sure she's not on the frames I move .

And there all deeps . Mite try two splits . Worst case I lose one or two but maybe still have one right .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just hope it can wait tell tomorrow because I know I can't probley get it done today darks in like 30 mins or less .
Or should I go ahead and do it .

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I may be waaaay off base but I figure some of those bees are field bees that came back to the hive while you had it torn down. They could just be bearding too. I have a 5 over 5 over 5 frame nuc that was litterally dripping bees off the landing board Friday late afternoon. It's hot here, and I figure it's probably pretty warm there too. How is your ventilation on that hive? Got enough opening up top for them to cool the hive?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may be waaaay off base but I figure some of those bees are field bees that came back to the hive while you had it torn down. They could just be bearding too. I have a 5 over 5 over 5 frame nuc that was litterally dripping bees off the landing board Friday late afternoon. It's hot here, and I figure it's probably pretty warm there too. How is your ventilation on that hive? Got enough opening up top for them to cool the hive?
Ya I figure that two . The bearding probley that and who knows may still not be enought room . Even thought the top box isn't drawn out . The hive has a ton of bees .
My more worried problem is the swarm cell . And I'm sure it's way big enough to spilt . Once or twice .

I thought I started with enough time to get it done before they all got home .but guess not .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait til morning. See queen, split queen.
They don't seem to get up and a going tell after 9am good but they may get moving early . What's a ideal time to do it tomorrow morning ?

I have yet to ever find the queen in this hive . Can find them easily in all my other hives . None of my queens are marked . But super duper is over a month old and has eggs of all stages

·
Registered
158 Posts
Odds are, with 4 deeps, there will be another Qcell or three. Remember that hive is trying to supercede that queen. She really needs to go into a nuc/single deep of her own. "Swarm" under your control.

Finding her is gonna be, ummm, interesting.

Because the Qcell is still unhatched, they may not have started to chase her (slimming her so she can fly).
Have anybody close that can help you queen hunt? Empty box to move checked frames to helps. Go top to bottom, look for fresh fresh laid eggs, odds are she is close by. After today, she could be running anywhere to inspect what changed.

Did have similar issue this spring with double brood box. Queen had already been slimmed, didn't see her when put qcell frames in nuc. Did another just for good measure. 2 days later original double swarmed while I was 2 states away. Talked mama thru her first swarm over phone. Next day neighbors Russians decided to drop off a present in her peach trees. At least she had idea what to do next. Gathered both that night when back from Miami. Next day did another "force split", up from 1 hive to 6 in 72hrs. If they want to supercede, they will. Can u "guide" them, yes. Outsmart 60-80,000 women. Just tell them that new hive body is on sale, and,the latest greatest thing since sliced bread, and in a better neighborhood.
Throw in the pool if they ask about it too.

Queen hunts are a grind. Dont feel bad if you end up nearly cross-eyed. Goes with the territory.

My secret weapon is a fellow beeks wife. She has the creepy uncanny ability... "There she is!!" Every time.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only found the one qcell . And ya I can Usually spot the queens no problem . But this hive I just can't . I guess I was in a hour today or maybe a little better then because finding her was main goal . I figured she was in the bottom because it was the only one that didn't have a roar after I got the other three off . And ya I used a extra super to hold frames .
But just couldn't find her .

Guess I will do something tomorrow . And see what happens . Can't learn if ya don't do it .

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just did a cut down split. Every time prior to that, I saw the queen. When it came time to find her, she was nowhere to be seen. After an hour long search I got in touch with a mentor and he suggested placing each box on a separate stand (or cover...just not on the grass), then going through each box carefully. That did the trick. In fact, I could tell where the queen was before I went in....in the quieter box.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just did a cut down split. Every time prior to that, I saw the queen. When it came time to find her, she was nowhere to be seen. After an hour long search I got in touch with a mentor and he suggested placing each box on a separate stand (or cover...just not on the grass), then going through each box carefully. That did the trick. In fact, I could tell where the queen was before I went in....in the quieter box.
Ya that how I Narrow the queen down to he bottom box . But the problem was there was way to main forger bees coming in while I was trying to go throught it bearded the whole front and half way around each side .
In hine stight now I should have moved it and place one or all the others on the hive bottom board . So I wouldn't have to look throught all of them .

·
Registered
887 Posts
Only found the one qcell . And ya I can Usually spot the queens no problem . But this hive I just can't . I guess I was in a hour today or maybe a little better then because finding her was main goal . I figured she was in the bottom because it was the only one that didn't have a roar after I got the other three off . And ya I used a extra super to hold frames .
But just couldn't find her .

Guess I will do something tomorrow . And see what happens . Can't learn if ya don't do it .
are you talking a queen cup or a queen cell? if it's a cup......very normal and nothing to worry about. If it's a capped queen cell then they may have already swarmed. And if they are prepping to swarm, moving the queen cell will not stop the swarm and may leave you queenless in the end!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are you talking a queen cup or a queen cell? if it's a cup......very normal and nothing to worry about. If it's a capped queen cell then they may have already swarmed. And if they are prepping to swarm, moving the queen cell will not stop the swarm and may leave you queenless in the end!
Yes it's fully capped qcell . And that's my worry they mite have swarmed . But if they did the number of bees didnt seem to change seems I have even more .
They 3-4 deep on every frame and on the sides of the box . It may really need to be 6-7 deeps high don't know . Right now they have frames to draw out so .
But have the qcell capped . Can't find the queen as of yet . But do believe she's there I did see 1-3 day old eggs that had been layed .

This hive from the start was loaded with bees . Remember most of my 40 pounds of bees drifted to this hive . It draw comb fast then slowed then picked up again . The whole time slammed with bees .

I wish I had 3-4 queens because I believe it could easily make 4 hive out of it right now .and they all thrive .

It does have one queen cup also with no egg .

So it has one capped queen cell and one queen cup no egg .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok what I done to super duper today . First learned my nucs/swarm boxes I built are a 3/4 to shallow . Lost the queen cell that was capped because box wasn't deep and smashed it . Stupid rookie mistake .
But found another uncapped with larva . So set up a nuc box with it like said in above post .
Then took a frame that had a egged q cup and done the same .

Was scared I had the queen or a queen in one of the two nucs I set up .
As we me and a 110% new helper could not find the queen for nothing but got it all back to gather and knew there was no queen from the roar it was doing . But they still had a q cup with no egg but had fresh eggs so figured they mite or maybe ok . After got it all cleaned up around the hive I find the or a queen on the concrete pad at the hive stand leg . So I got her back in the hive and roar Immediately went away . So all should be good fingers crossed .

The queen I found I seen why she was so hard to find as she was some what small and a dark or black queen . So either I never had a real golden queen like the others or it may have already swarmed . But there was no other q cells of any kind found . Was in a super long time and super Thorough today with two sets of eyes .

So I should have the main hive ok but still have to watch it for swarm cells . It's still loaded to the gills with bees and brood .

The two nucs it they make it great if not don't see it as a big loss .

Went through all hives today also and everyone else seemed ok .

·
Registered
887 Posts
sometimes the best thing to do is.....NOTHING. I truly think from your description...this would have been one of those times. But, now that you have acted on it, I hope everything turns out ok.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts