Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some searching here just wondering what the next step is after a new nuc swarms. Nuc installed May 5th, swarmed on Father's Day. I had put a med super on top of the 2 deeps 1 week prior to them swarming. After they left I opened the hive to find open queen cells on the first frame I pulled in the top deep. This happened to be a drone frame that I was planning on freezing for mite control. I put the frame back in and closed up the hive.

Question is should I leave them alone for a while to get settled with their new queen or should I do a further look into the hive? They seem to be a little testy. I used to be able to stand next to the hive with no veil and just watch them but now I get chased off. Nothing serious just a couple in my face so I retreat. Activity seems normal, coming and going and such but in smaller numbers. Any input greatly appreciated.

2nd yr, 2 new hives from nucs as none made it from first yr packages

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Thanks that was what I was leaning towards, but its killing me to not look inside. Patience
I've been experiencing this problem with patience a lot lately (and ever since I got bees, really). I've decided that hives need to come with locks to keep beekeepers out when they should not poking around in there. Like, say, now when queen cells are in the splits and you're dying to know what's going on in there, and to keep going in is like digging up seeds to see if they're germinating yet.

It's either locks on the hives, or tying the beekeeper's hands behind their backs so they cannot touch anything until 30 days go by.

I mean, kids waiting for Christmas have nothing on beekeepers waiting on splits with queen cells..... TORTURE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts