Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know which if any ant treatments are not harmful to bees. I’ve used Terro and it was the probable smoking gun for an immediate hive die off. Though not warned of on the package; one of the ingredients in same, I confirmed was highly toxic to bees.
In the old days we used “chlordane”
What do you use?
Mark

Watching bees die is tuff:cry:

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your hive is on a stand with legs, wrap some duct tape tightly around each leg with the sticky side out. This has worked for me with my TBH.

Otherwise I sprinkle some cinnamon around where the ants are, and the base of the hive. The ants dont seem to like it, but the bees dont mind. Im sure there are other methods, but these have worked for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If your hive is on a stand with legs, wrap some duct tape tightly around each leg with the sticky side out. This has worked for me with my TBH.
or use tanglefoot:

but, you'll probably have to reapply it often as dust,leaves, ants will fill it up. Maintenance becomes a chore. That's why we liked the antguards in insectaries, pull tie them on and forget it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I learned what not to do. I had a huge ant pile by the hives this spring. I decided to burn it one day. It all went well. I stomped the fire out and went on about my day. Later that afternoon the wind picked up and i glanced back to the back of the pasture by the hives and a huge plum of smoke was billowing up. To say the least i definetly smoked my hives good. it was pretty close to burning them up. We rushed and stomped out the fire before it got out of control. So i do not reccomend the burning approach those ant piles just smother forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts