Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put an entrance in each of my supers for easy access. Please let me know what size the hole should be. Also, this is the hive's first year and they've neary filled the brood section which is 2 deeps. Should I let them keep the supers if they fill any? Thanks!

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Personnally, I wouldn't, so I can't tell you what size. I would put 3/8 shims under or on top of my supers if I wanted a top entrance.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I don't care for holes in my supers. But anything as big as 1/4" will let bees in and out. A 1" hole will let more ventilation in and out. There isn't a right size. I just use the shims under the top for the entrance and the top ventilation.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I don't drill hole but use shims.

One beekeeper friend uses 3/4" holes because he has corks that size. He does drill his holes at a slight upward angle so rain water drains away from the inside of the hive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
N1st - I can't bring myself to drill holes in my supers, but I am a staunch advocate of upper entrances.

I got rid of my queen excluders and put Imery shims on top of the deeps, under the supers, and then a 3/8 or so shim (cut from trim moulding) between each super (shimed on three sides, open in front). Not too much trouble with burr comb and no (so far
) brood in the supers. This has worked particularly well in supers for cut comb on strong hives.

Be aware that every hole you create is one more for the bees to guard.

Curious, some hives use the upper entrances exclusively, others still use the one below the deeps for most of their coming and going. I'm sure there's an explanation for this but I have no clue. A woman's prerogative, I guess.

If your deeps have substantial amounts of stores - like nearly filled, including the outermost frames, (which they should be, if you've thinking about adding a super) you just may have honey to harvest! Our winters are not as severe as yours and conventional wisdom in your area might recommend you leave more than the 50-60 pounds we do - someone more local will be happy to opine you on that.

Good luck - no other honey will ever be sweeter than your first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts