Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I agree with the 7D for boxes, but you need to buy your frame nails, both sizes, from a beekeeping supply like Dadant, etc. The frame nails are wire nails and almost impossible to find anywhere.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 'real' hardware store near me, but I have amish nearby and they need older sized nailes (this place even still sells cut nails) The big box stores don't carry 7d nail. Call around to see if any old time hardware store in your area carries. There are also a few places on the net that sell nails, but then best just to buy from datant or one of the other sites.

Some guys are having good luck with screws, but I put some wood glue and then nail - it's really fast, and my kids like to hammer in the nails so it gets to be a family event.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I exterior glue and staple my frames for stability and longivity - if you can't afford the <$100 for the stapler, check your tool rental shop, as you will also need an air compressor (watch your fingers).

·
Registered
717 Posts
16 penny or a wimpy little brad nail?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Why, back in my day, anything less than a railroad spike was considered a splinter;)

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
We prefer the double dipped galv. Maze 7d box, S206. The 5d box works well for the top frame rest spot on a super. BeA narrow crown staples for the frames.

Roland

1 - 11 of 11 Posts