Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
So i went to a local store trying to sell my honey. Mine is RAW. There they had 32oz. for $16. This is not RAW honey and this guy who sells it is commercial. She told me she gets a case of 12 for $8 a bottle. She said she would also sell mine. Question is should i even waste my time? Not going to sell that cheap. If i should take her up on her offer any suggestions on how much i should sell for? Normally i sell 22oz. pint mason jars for $15.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Really depends on location. Farmers markets in upscale neighborhoods in metropolitan areas that have ZERO farms nearby tend to pay a LOT MORE than small towns with lots of beekeepers.

Find an area with a "health food freak" culture and sell honey-in-the-comb at $20 per ounce. Elsewhere chunk combs inside pretty, round glass jars of liquid honey sell for a bit less, but they usually go quicker than ALL the sizes of liquid honey.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ummm, Charlie: $20/oz?!
At farmer's markets we sell the same number of 2.5# jars as 2oz (plaatic) bears. We have an assortment of jars in between. It is often hard to justify the time spent....
If selling to a store that already has honey: set your price so you make money. They can mark it up as they please. You both will find out if it sells. If they balk at your price you can offer to take back what they don't sell. In order to keep the customer you have to be able to keep them in stock. We have a local retail store that sells 3# glass for $22-$50 depending on supplier. Don't compete with the big guys. You know your honey is local, (raw?), and unadulterated. Over time your customers will know that as well. The ones who don't care can keep their fake carbs. The ones who do care often make great customers. Good luck!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I sell only by word of mouth so far, without problem. I might need to sell a little more aggressively next year.

I sell 1 lb plastic squeeze bottles for $8.00, 1.5 lb (1 pint) jars for $10.00, 1 lb 14 oz (1 qt jar) for $17.00. (I weigh the honey as I fill, so the apparent disparity between weights of the pint and the quart is a real thing ...)

The pound squeeze bottles sell best with the younger crowd, and the quarts sell best with the older crowd. Many of the quarts sell to those who previously bought a squeeze bottle.

I do not sell larger quantities, as I am unwilling to go cheaper than what I do for the quart.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
1,792 Posts
I sell for 9 a pint and 18 a quart, next year already am informing of 10 a pint and 20 a quart.
I offer a choice, granted a small one of 2 items. Not sure I want 6 or more sizes.
There are a lot of "cost conscious shoppers" so the cheaper per OZ would sell faster.
Agree with Bushpilot, I do not want to sell cheaper.
Agree will above sell at your price and either they buy or they do not. Do state Raw and Local if it is, as these seem to help sales.

with my pricing i actually make more on the quart as it is 1 less jar , lid, ring, label.

I guess, shop around, and then set your prices where you feel they need to be, I see many places are different.

GG

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
$15 / pint, $25 / quart is cheap here for raw / local.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
$240 for a 12 ounce comb? Find that hard to believe.

Really depends on location. Farmers markets in upscale neighborhoods in metropolitan areas that have ZERO farms nearby tend to pay a LOT MORE than small towns with lots of beekeepers.

Find an area with a "health food freak" culture and sell honey-in-the-comb at $20 per ounce. Elsewhere chunk combs inside pretty, round glass jars of liquid honey sell for a bit less, but they usually go quicker than ALL the sizes of liquid honey.

·
Registered
531 Posts
$240 for a 12 ounce comb? Find that hard to believe.
I have a hard time selling comb honey at $1.00/oz, $20.00 would be amazing! I do sell some chunk honey in pints for a couple dollars more than the same pint with just liquid honey.

Financially, so far chunk and comb are not doing it for me.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts