Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size filter to you use to strain your honey? I know that most bee supply stores sell the 200, 400, and 600 micron filters. I want my honey to be "raw" but I also don't want people to be freaked out by particles in the honey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Uh whatever size the nylon paint bags they sell at home depot are.

Basically get the large pieces of wax and any nee parts out. I end up with a little bit of wax at the top of some jars. I only sell to locals who want it raw anyway; if they ask I explain it and they are generally very happy.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I to is a five gallon bucket strainer. What ever my paint supplier has. As a note I found McMasters has a lot of different ones of size filters.
David

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nylon stockings ( the knee high kind) are good for a small amount of honey. Be sure to wash them before putting them back in the wife's drawer. haha

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I use the 400 and 600. The only reason they sell them in a 3 piece set is that is how they are made and marketed. That there is a 200 in the mix does not have a thing to do with it begin needed. I also use the same strainers to sift the bad seed and dust from tobacco seed. particles just larger than a viable tobacco seed will pass through the 600 but only particles slightly smaller will pass the 400. So I have seen a lot of the sort of things that will make it through the 400. It is like a talcum powder dust. A tobacco seed is smaller than the period in this text. They are not much bigger than dust particles themselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts