Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What should we do with this crooked comb?

2968 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  shubing
We did our first inspection of our TBH today which is two weeks after installing the package. We had noticed over that two weeks that the bees were clustering on one side of and to the back of the hive. When we opened the hive we found just two bars with comb on it and the comb was not straight but rather attached to the bar at an angle which brought it into the next bar. There was also comb in the bottom half of the hive that was not attached to any bars. All the comb contained honey and some pollen. We didn't see any brood nor did we see the queen.

The temps have been in the 50 & 60's during the day and in the 30 & 40's at night.

See below pics.

What should we do to straighten this mess out.

On a good note, the bees were calm and accepting of our intrusion, even without using smoke.

Thanks

Steve & Jeannie

Comb is at an angle

Comb is at an angle

Comb in the bottom of the hive not attached to a bar

Comb in the bottom of the hive not attached to a bar
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
I've got the crooked comb problem too- ran deep grooves in my bars and filled them with beeswax, but alas, the bees built across the bars! I'm not quite sure what to do, I don't want to destroy all their nice work, but I can't take the bars out without destroying their comb. I told my wife that maybe we should just keep them as pets and let them build as they please.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.