Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've never known a pollinator to benefit from a non-flowering plant.

I put lemongrass on the ends of my hive stands. Mainly as they get huge in my area and act as a wind/sun break while providing a nice aroma. But if there were a flowering bush or something more beneficial, I could be persuaded to replace them.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
472 Posts
You need a flower for nectar. #1 is Phacelia. Ian Steppler (A Canadian Beekeepers Blog) planted Phacelia this year along with Sunflowers and was very impressed. It's in my wildflower mix which will be reseeded this fall before the rains.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I planted a small patch of Phacelia this Spring to see how they would use it in this area. I was surprised how many bees were on it.

Alex

·
Registered
457 Posts
They call Phacelia "Bees Friend" for a reason!

I also tried some in a pot this year after seeing it at the nursery, and having no idea what it was. It produced a TON of seeds which I cut when dry and placed in open bags to harvest.

I'll definitely be planting more this next year. I'll be interested to see if it will thrive in areas I don't water.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Your question is far more challenging that some people here appear to appreciate:
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has a desert climate, with very mild winters and very hot and sunny summers, in which the humidity of the Persian Gulf makes the heat unbearable. The annual precipitation is almost everywhere below 100 millimetres (4 inches), and is concentrated in the winter months.
UAE appropriate environment for beekeeping, By Wam
Published Wednesday, April 03, 2019
The UAE is deemed a suitable environment for beekeeping given the availability of natural pastures during the seasons and Emirati honey is considered one of the best honey in the world, especially Acacia; Sidr, Frangula alnus, and Ghaf, Acacia tortilis, honey.
Seems local knowledge of the UAE is essential when making any recommendations.
LJ

·
Registered
488 Posts
Aside from flowering plants, what other plants would be best pollinators?
I take it that you will be heavily irrigating what you plant in some form or fashion due to your location. From the Buckthorn family, botanical name: Ziziphus spina-christiIn, also called Christ's thorn jujube seems to be well adapted to your area. Brazilian pepper tree may be another. In another life, I spent a year deployed to that area as a military aviator and I was very impressed what farmers were able to grow using walk-line pivots and other forms of irrigation. If you are able to irrigate and with proper soil preparation you might be able to grow Tulip Poplar, Black Locust, Korean Bee Bee Tree, and perhaps others but until they become well rooted would require close and constant care. Even when well rooted, irrigation would be required. Not sure if that would be practical or economically feasible for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your response! I've done quite a lot of research myself, and there's quite a lot of alternative but of course that would be depending as you guys said on location. The local climate here is not well suited.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts