Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My over wintered honey super (flow frames) where beginning to crystallize. Not sure why that was the happening. I brought the box in sat it near a heater and extracted what honey I could. There is still qlot of crystalized sugar in the frames.

If I put the frames back in hive or leave them in front of hive for bees to clean up will I have more of the same sugar issue in a few months?? Should I just wash them in hot water??

·
Registered
11,363 Posts
The bees may clean it at least to some extent. After that, yes a soak in hot water and maybe a squirt with the garden hose, and repeat until clean, may be the easiest option.

Lesson for next season, take the honey before it crystalises.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
We keep reading this over and over. Do the Flow folks not teach that the Flow frames are not to be left on over winter? One problem is that the beginner beekeepers buying Flows are not learning about common beekeeping methods first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was left on intentionally. The hive was new package of bees installed mid summer. They had only 1 brood box and the flow super. Had I taken that away they would not have had enough stores for the harsh winter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
In that situation you should have left the "flow super" off the hive and put on a regular hive body and frames. at this point though just give them a good cleaning.

·
Registered
11,363 Posts
Yes, would be less drama overall, to remove the flowbox in fall, and feed the hive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We keep reading this over and over. Do the Flow folks not teach that the Flow frames are not to be left on over winter?
Flow is a Queensland Au company they don't have a winter. :) The Flow super should be treated the same way as a traditional super, climate specific. Mistakes are excellent teachers but ultimately its up to the student to learn. I don't have much luck spinning crystallised honey out of traditional frames either, less luck crush and straining it. ;) But yes they do, it's in their FAQ on their website but who reads instructions anyway?
If the honey is crystallised the Flow frames probably wouldn't open unless warmed. Maximum 80°C for 5 mins. (Also in their FAQ.) Perhaps under super the Flow box and open then close the Flow frames, in small increments, and let the bees sort it out.
And no I am not affiliated with Flow.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
In a cold climate you should make sure they have enough for winter before you put on the FlowHive super. And I would always harvest it in the fall and remove the box. If you don't the cluster may end up in the FlowHive super and the queen may not be able to lay workers in the cells so they may suffer a setback in the spring. As others have pointed out, the inventors are in NSW Australia where there really is no winter and there is almost always a flow.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If I put the frames back in hive or leave them in front of hive for bees to clean up....
Please don't do this. You will probably end up with a large number of robbers from other hives taking advantage of your offering. When the frames are cleaned up and no longer there they continue to come back to the same location, you can guess where they will be heading to next for free honey.

If you plan to set them out in the open to be cleaned up then place them a good distance from your hives and avoid a robbing frenzy at your hives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts