Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new marked Russian pure Queen in 10 days ago. She was out in 3 days. I waited a week and checked to see if she was laying. I found some 5-6 day old larvae as well as some younger. As I started to put the frames back in my wife said what is that? I looked and there she was with a bright blue spot on her. She is large for a new queen. Here comes the question. Her tail section is not black. It begins as a dark orange for about 3/4 of it then it turns black. All of my other Russian Queens were black.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Like any other type, the Russians can be one of many different colors. We've had some that you could mistake for a pure Italian, golden yellow. Most have a dark abdomen, not black, and some have prominent dark stripes.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fishstix I was beginning to think no one was going to answer me. From what others have told me this is common. I just wasn't prepared for that look as the other 10 that I've seen were black, albeit some blacker than others. They were also smaller.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My marked Russian Queen is not black either. She is dark, but striped. She seems to throw about 3 different colored daughters. One of them is the color that you describe your queen; orangy-yellow front, and solid black tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts