Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was prepared to do a reversal for my 2 big hives (expecting the bottom deep for each to be empty, after the winter). [1 hive = a deep with 3 mediums; 1 hive, a deep and 2 mediums].

Here's the rub: both hives' deeps were packed and busy, with lots of bee activity. The mediums for both hives were also busy -- I couldn't pry open frames for several mediums to inspect (hyperpropolization), but I could see the frames were all drawn.

So .... I put a fresh medium, with some frames drawn and some plastic-coated foundation, on each hive. Will that be a problem later? I've not had to think about this in my keeping career; last year's 1 successful hive was the first I've had to come through a winter intact.

Should I expect the bees to make the new mediums into honey supers? Or maybe the queens'll use them for brood?

Are there some negative potentials involving these configurations? I mean, aside from the fact that 1 hive now has 5 hive bodies and is getting kinda tall.

Thx a heap for any thoughts/anecdotes/cautions re: this. I sorta did the additions spur-of-the-moment (not good under duress) -- the Girls were getting more and more unhappy as I went along (cool, cloudy and a tad breezy at the time, but the best weather I had to work with for the foreseeable future :() ....

Mitch

·
Registered
302 Posts
Goodness 68 views and no reply?

my thoughts, note, from someone who knows nothing of the local nectar flows. Right off the top: booming hives, your doing it right! And now you are at the point where there is not a 'pat answer'.

Second year hives, they are doing what they are wired to do, grow big and replicate (swarm). Giving the workforce something to do is always good and drawing comb is a great task.
"...new mediums into honey supers? Or maybe the queens'll use them for brood?" They probably will, and if the queen decides to take a jaunt around the hive she will.
"..negative potentials..."? they swarm any way.

Tall stacks are a good thing!! just wait until you have one taller than you are at 6'4"!

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Mitch, I would put the new super under the top box in the 4 box hive and on top of the three box hive. Ideally, you want 1 deep and 2 mediums for your brood chamber. Once you get the frames unstuck, be sure to follow Matt Davies' advice for opening up the sides of the brood nest. You will move some of those frames into the undrawn super to get the bees working on drawing those frames out.

I would also be getting a few nucs ready to put some bees in. :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitch, I would put the new super under the top box in the 4 box hive and on top of the three box hive. Ideally, you want 1 deep and 2 mediums for your brood chamber. Once you get the frames unstuck, be sure to follow Matt Davies' advice for opening up the sides of the brood nest. You will move some of those frames into the undrawn super to get the bees working on drawing those frames out.

I would also be getting a few nucs ready to put some bees in. :)
Thx, JW -- I'd've never thought of it. I guess I'll buy the J hook tool next week, then do what I can (altho' I hear now that next week'll be in the 20's at nights, 40's during days, and with some clouds/rain; not ideal for opening hives .....)

ML

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Looks like the weather will warm up after the 7th, but my area is calling for rain all that week. Needs to dry up soon, I started two walk away splits last Sunday. Assuming they take (I haven't looked for cells yet) I will need good flying weather in two week's time or all will have been for naught.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts