Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing where I live it is some kind of Lily or ornamental plant they are getting it from? They are bringing a good bit back and seemed to start yesterday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here in Indiana Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) is a source of bright red pollen in the early spring. It is very invasive and is usually one of the first plants to bloom. Some entire farm fields turn purple with this plant. It is a good early source of pollen and nectar when there is nothing else around once things start warming up. They are already gone here so I am guessing the Henbit bloom in SC has already come and gone as well.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Here the red pollen is either henbit or blue bonnets.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at lunch for a few minutes. It might be dandelion. It is not even close to yellow, but maybe orange/red. There is a lot of dandelion in the area.

This is my first year so I am on a fast learning curve. Just thought the color difference was very interesting. Mimosa and early crepe myrtle are starting to bloom now.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Dead nettle has red pollen also. It blooms here (West Alabama) about the same time as henbit so it may be gone there too. Some people say honey bees don't work dead nettle but they do here, got pictures to prove it! The bees have the red pollen on their head and all over their body. Makes them look rusty.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I noticed red pollen coming in at a friend's hive and was wondering what it was. Few days ago she said she saw bees working dead nettle in her yard and saw them coming back with red pollen.
Dead nettle has red pollen also. It blooms here (West Alabama) about the same time as henbit so it may be gone there too. Some people say honey bees don't work dead nettle but they do here, got pictures to prove it! The bees have the red pollen on their head and all over their body. Makes them look rusty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts