Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bees are bringing in a lot of yellow pollen the past few days. It looks similar to goldenrod, but that has died off. I suppose its possible there is a patch somewhere but I do not see any driving around. White asters have passed by, but there are some blue asters remaining. I never see them on blue asters. Any thing else blooming that I have not noticed or considered? J

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Yeah, check into "hawkweeds".
There are some around my area for sure.
Some big patches.

Both hawkweeds and dandelions may have significant late fall bloom (varies by a year).

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Forgot about pollen.com. Wish they posted better pics and the color of the pollen. Only thing listed that is a possibility is ragweed, but I am doubting it. Is it bright yellow? J

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I seem to remember a color chart for pollen. Can't find it on pollen.com. Anyone know where it is? No dandy's here and no hawkweed that I can see. I'm thinking its something growing in the woods since I am not seeing anything yellow around. J

J

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Michael. All I am seeing here is blue aster which they don't seem to touch, at least around my property. Time to take a walk and see what I can see. J

·
Registered
314 Posts
I seem to remember a color chart for pollen. Can't find it on pollen.com. Anyone know where it is? No dandy's here and no hawkweed that I can see. I'm thinking its something growing in the woods since I am not seeing anything yellow around. J

J
If you google pollen color chart there several listed.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mike. I took a walk and a ride and the only thing I am seeing is some Asters, so I am assuming that is what they are bringing in. I am surprised because there isn't a lot left, but they are bringing in lots of it. J

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have had some frosts (down to the low 20's) but it seems some plants have survived and now that it's up in the low 60's, 4-5 days ago I was out observing the bees on flowers. Dark Orange pollen off some late giant sunflower blooms (neighbor had planted some varieties that really should have been grown further south so still opening flowers), white/off-white off the dying sunflowers in my yard, Asters the girls appeared to be going after nectar as no pollen visible on their legs and faces deep into the flowers. Didn't notice any colors off anything else, as I was just enjoying the sun and watching the girls fly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts