Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what are the best fall nectar/pollen sources around here (eastern Ontario)? I know they love the goldenrod! I've noticed the girls on Joe Pye weed, my yellow coneflowers, sunflowers, sedum, borage... but I'm wondering what the best sources are? I have lots of room to plant on our farm; it would be nice to put in some more floral goodies for the bee-gals.

Natalie

·
Registered
98 Posts
also that wild aster that grows along the roads etc, is supposed to be good
source for the bees . It is starting to blossom now, like everything else, early this year. Even that hated Purple Loostrife, is fantastic for the bees.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes my buddy who is a third generation beekeeper says the wild asters
are a great source of nector for his bees late in the season. Maybe there
are different varieties of wild asters?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm wondering what are the best fall nectar/pollen sources around here (eastern Ontario)? I know they love the goldenrod! I've noticed the girls on Joe Pye weed, my yellow coneflowers, sunflowers, sedum, borage... but I'm wondering what the best sources are? I have lots of room to plant on our farm; it would be nice to put in some more floral goodies for the bee-gals.

Natalie
Wiki has a nice list broken down into plants and tree/shrubs and then broken down into spring/summer/fall. Each lists several bits of info on the plant including how big of a source it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_nectar_sources_for_honey_bees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

~Matt

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wiki has a nice list broken down into plants and tree/shrubs and then broken down into spring/summer/fall. Each lists several bits of info on the plant including how big of a source it is.

~Matt

Thank you Matt! I should have thought to look on Wiki. That's very helpful.

Natalie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes my buddy who is a third generation beekeeper says the wild asters
are a great source of nector for his bees late in the season. Maybe there
are different varieties of wild asters?
Cheesegenie, have you seen honeybees on the asters around you? We get those little purple wild asters that are everywhere around here. No loosestrife on our property, it would seem.

Natalie

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thank you Matt! I should have thought to look on Wiki. That's very helpful.

Natalie
The nice thing is they also sort it out into "Feral" or "Cultivated", Major or minor source and they even let you know if you planted enough of it if you could have honey all made from one source.

I went thru the list and tried to make a "Well rounded" source that I wouldn't have to do much with year after year.

Haven't planted yet but need to yet this year.

~Matt

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Don't know if they will grow there but Cosmos are great for pollen. I plant stands of 3x3 meters and stagger the plantings. When most other pollen sources dry up the bees are all over these. Going back to the hives loaded. Does take a little fertilizer and regular irrigation to keep them blooming.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cosmos grow very well here and I love them! Unfortunately I didn't get any planted in my garden this year; normally I grow them from seed every single year! They keep blooming well into the fall so I'll make sure I plant lots next year.

Natalie

·
Registered
201 Posts
before I kept bees I always left my wild asters growing because some-bodies bees loved them SO much. I don't know about the cultivated varieties, however.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts