Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I have never seen it but I would bet that it is a solitary bee or wasp has built those cocoons in an available cavity that happened to be your empty bee equipment. Personally, I would carefully take them off and put them in a small cavity to emerge and go about their life as you go about yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Can't see what emerges from those cocoons because whatever that was, it has already emerged.
The cocoons are made of some kind of clay/sand glued together by that insect and I found it in a hive mounted on a trailer 1.5m above ground. And it is not the first time I find this in my hives.
This is why I think it is a pest and got me curious.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh, and they look exactly like a yellow jacket except the thing in between abdomen and head area is really long.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was going to say dirt daubers. Though I have never seen a nest laid out as individual tubes like that. If you cut one open, you will most likely find it packed full of spiders for the larva to feed on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We get those too, they like our gutters. Ive seen them attack all sorts of insects, including bees, bumble, not honey but I wouldn't put anything past them. They sting them which paralyzes them and then put them inside those cocoons to feed to their young. Ekk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts