Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in June of last year a wild hive moved in. Since then its been ups and downs. I added a medium and a few weeks later half the bees died. I left them alone and they recovered. I did pull off the medium.

Then grew again and I put the medium back on. They never did use it after a month and they swarmed. I lost about half and my queen and a couple weeks later another football size of bees swarmed.

I pulled the medium off and did an inspection and I had plenty of queen cells. Again I left them alone and this past Saturday this is what I found

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Look ok to me
You have capped brood that can be seen
And capped honey
I would say if you looked closer you have larva
If so your A OK
Be sure to add supers when your at 75-80% full

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look ok to me
You have capped brood that can be seen
And capped honey
I would say if you looked closer you have larva
If so your A OK
Be sure to add supers when your at 75-80% full
Yes there are larva. Add when what is 75-80% full. All the frames are completely full except the one that looks like a map of the us. The rest of the frames look just like the other 2 frames.

Every time I add the medium on something happens. The bees won't use it. This time I thought I would move two frames with brood up.

Gene

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
sounds to me like you need to checkerboard your super. Some bees won't go up into a super on their own. Checkerboard the super and alternate brood, foundation/drawn comb. It will get them into the super, the queen will start laying more in the lower areas, and the bees will push her upward as time goes into the unused area.

·
Registered
652 Posts
This is when having all the same size box helps... moving a frame of brood up will pull bees up and they will be encouraged to use it.

do those have bottom bars? if not chop off enough to fit into the medium and move 1-2? up and put emptys back into the lower box so they will draw those out

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is when having all the same size box helps... moving a frame of brood up will pull bees up and they will be encouraged to use it.

do those have bottom bars? if not chop off enough to fit into the medium and move 1-2? up and put emptys back into the lower box so they will draw those out
I wish I had all mediums but I am lucky it's frameless. I will just chop it off. Thanks

Gene

1 - 9 of 9 Posts