Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
weirdbee.jpg I shook out a laying worker hive this morning, putting in its place a different hive with frames of open brood and nurse bees. I went back a couple of hours later and this little bee was hovering around and would occasionally land on one of the honey bees. I hope it is clear in the picture (the antennae are perhaps the feature which most differs from a honeybee), but it is NOT a honeybee. It is smaller, a littler darker, doesn't fly like a honeybee. . . yet it is most certainly a bee of some kind. Anyone know what it is? Or what it might have been doing?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
It is an old honey bee - they lose they hairs when they get old or when they've been fighting. There are some diseases that also make them look like this.
Nah, that ain't no honey bee, somekind of native solitary bee. I see them around my hives often too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It makes sense that they were attracted to the hive, there was a lot of scenting going on after the shakeout. The weird part was how she kept landing on a bee. . . she'd stay there for two or three seconds, fly up, hover around, and then land on another bee.

·
Registered
205 Posts
weird, sounds like the behavior of a parasitic wasp laying eggs within another creature. Be cool if you could capture one of the bees he/she lands on, keep them alive and see if anything hatches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts