Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of sugar do I need to buy to feed my Bees when they arrive? I was going to use cain sugar from Kroger, mix it with hot water and put in hive top feeders.. But Someone said don't use cain sugar!
They said buy white sugar! Im confused Cain sugar is white sugar?????

Help

·
Registered
285 Posts
You are correct. Feed only pure cane sugar if at all possible. Doesn't matter where you buy it from as long as it's pure cane sugar. Shop around, get the best price, feeding can get expensive quick.

·
Super Moderator
11,251 Posts
Granulated white sugar (as sold in any grocery store) is appropriate to use for mixing syrup.

Two different plants can be used to make granulated sugar. Those two plants are sugar cane and sugar beets. Once the beets/cane are refined and made into granulated sugar, there is no discernable difference between sugar made from either cane or beets.

·
Registered
136 Posts
you should also consider adding some cider vinegar or ascorbic acid to your mix to adjust the pH .

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
Use white, not brown. Brown still contains solids that are indigestible for bees and gives them dysentery.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I also add Honey B Healthy and Amino B Booster (same company) which helps with some trace element items. It also does not hurt to add a pollen patty to a hive (new or fall prep). If they do not use it do not worry they did not need it, but if it is gone fast refresh.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Cane sugar beet sugar both result from chemical precipitation processes in the manufacture of and are both white sugar and both are excellent bee feed. beet sugar is cheaper here so that is what I use. If cane sugar was cheaper, I would use it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts