Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to think about Spring ...

When selecting a white paint for my supers, is there any type that I should look for or avoid?

Would prefer to use something that doesn't include some nasty chems that may harm my bees or honey.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
paint only the outsides-they will coat the insides. what you put on the outside will have no effect on the bees. i use latex because the brushes are cleaned with soap and water(or the rollers, if you paint many). a lot of us use missmixed (odd) color paint from the big-box stores discount shelves as the bees dont care what color you use. some here let their artistic children have free rein drawing on the hives. have fun and good luck,mike

·
Registered
760 Posts
Welcome to the beekeeping world

I would start ... NOW !!! dont wait until spring is in bloom because the bees need to get started early
have you bought or made your woodware yet ??? if not do that asap - at least the bottemboard 2 deeps with frames and a top
you can build and paint the supers later after you get time

as for paint what I use is Kilz ext. primer with 2 coats of 25 year ext water based latex paint - just paint the outsides
sometimes i paint the rims of the boxes but if im painting 10 or more they get to time comsuming

have you ordered your bees yet ?? if not you should - they are usully sold out by march, most will put you on the list with no money upfront until you pick up the bees

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I use kilzs as a primer and a good brand of latex paint (don't buy cheap paint that the rain will wash off). I color code my hives, light green fore brood boxes, light brown for med. supers, and a darker green for comb honey supers. That way i can tell from a distance what each hive has, another thing that helps if you have several hives is number them, i use a screw and a calf size ear tag on mine, but a marker would work. Hope this helps.Jack

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I use oil primer and oil exterior or, if I have to, a high quality latex on the outside. Ooops stuff works fine as long as it's good quality.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I like flat finish latex. If you are in an area that gets hot in summer you will want to choose a light color.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there anyone who doesn't paint? I have nice woodenware, cypress, and I'm thinking I may just leave it unfinished. I know people generally paint, but I've also read some comments that say it isn't worth the time. The wood I have should be fine for my area, with or without painting. I think they look better (ie blend into my yard) without. ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
:):) Thanks! I'm encouraged. These boxes are cypress, so I think I'm fine.

What about the tops? We have metal, telescoping tops. Any reason to think it helps to manage the temps if we paint that?

·
Registered
383 Posts
i apply a few coats of boiled linseed oil befor i ever paint. even if i were going to leave them unpainted i would hit them with some boiled linseed oil.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Don't paint the metal on the telescoping tops, but do something to the exposes wood. If you desire. I use pine, so mine are all painted, except for the metal tops.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use what ever is free paint or trade honey for it. inside or out only difference between them out side has more latex in it.oops paint nah I got to paint and offer to take there paint off there hands for free.that way they don't pay has-mat fees.lol
Don

use your head in beekeeping not your wallet

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is there anyone who doesn't paint?
I haven't painted a bunch of my equipment. Of course we only get about 12 inches of precipitation a year... The sun is hard on the wood though.

When I buy paint, I often find some good deals at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. They often have some decent exterior latex.

I've also used some no-VOC stains. That stuff is expensive, but it only smells faintly of Elmers white glue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a Sherman Williams solid color exterior stain. I hope that there will not be any peeling with this product like there is with paint.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have two painted deeps all the rest al natural with some Napthate brown coating them I hate painting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was just about to ask about this when I did a quick search and found this thread.

What about Lacquer based paints? They spray really well and leave a durable hard finish.

Also... about painting the inside. I have read advice on both sides (pardon the pun). What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks for any advice offered.

- Dan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also... about painting the inside. I have read advice on both sides (pardon the pun). What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Dan
I have been told the biggest reason for not painting the inside is that the bare wood asks to pull moisture out of the air and this is especially helpful in cold weather. I do not know if that is accurate or not. If the bees are going to coat the inside anyway that would seem to negate the theory.
Either way I do not paint the inside.

BTW how are things in Simpsonville? I used to work in a office in Park 385 next to Ducks gym.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have never seen a Lac that was rated for exterior finish. Unless it was for a auto. Zinner makes a good product call 123 and I have had good luck with Gliddens exterior primer. The only reason I don't like the Zinner as well is if you look at it cross wise it will run.
David/toledo
David Painting and Wallcover

1 - 20 of 20 Posts