Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an alcohol wash on 3 deep two box colonies yesterday that I treated 8/24. The drops were 20, 33 and 48.

This sucks and almost seems the formic pro was ineffective.

Any ideas? Thx

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
you have to have a little more detail. did you do the 2 strip or the one strip followed by one strip. did you do a mite count b/4 you started. how many days were the sticky boards in to get that drop count. for a start.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO STICKY BOARDs ( inaccurate ) As I stated, I did alcohol washes. I am just trying to get a feel for what people running deeps get for mite counts with alcohol washes. I have mediums and did (3) washes today and got 3,5,3. This is great going into fall when I do the big OAV in mid-Nov.
you have to have a little more detail. did you do the 2 strip or the one strip followed by one strip. did you do a mite count b/4 you started. how many days were the sticky boards in to get that drop count. for a start.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Im confused. Is BeeBad and Vdotmatrix the same person? Seems like I am missing some posts or something if they are not. J

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
If you did an alcohol wash and had that many mites after the test, you've got big problems and need to treat again, ASAP. Are you sure all the black specs were actually mites?

If that was a 72 hour sticky board test, I would still think more treatment would be good, but not as urgently. I'd re-do that sticky board again, and repeat every week from now on. A single sticky board doesn't tell you as much as a series of counts.

For a project I am working on, this afternoon I made a video about sugar rolling techniques using commercially-cared for , and well-treated, hives. To avoid disturbing the brood area, since it didn't matter for my purposes, I simply selected frames from the tops of double deeps that are already set up for winter.

So I wasn't using nurse bees with the highest expected predation levels.

I was a little disconcerted when the tests shook out 7 and 8 mites respectively. And I didn't even do the full timed rolling/resting/shaking sequences, either. Those levels are too high, IMO. They need to be retreated, I think. If they were mine, that's what I'd do. They had Formic Pro in the mid-summer, and then a round of Apivar once the honey came off in late August, which should have just been finishing up.

And they still rolled 7 or 8 mites. Not good.

Nancy

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Upon examining IP addresses, I concluded that the two accounts were held by one person. Beesource rules do not permit posting under two different IDs, so I merged the two accounts into Vdotmatrix (which was the oldest ID).

[hr] [/hr]

A reminder, if you move, and wish to change the "Location" data shown with your Member Name, please PM a moderator. Creating a new (second) account is not permitted. I don't know if that is what happened here, but its possible.

A PM (Private Message) can be started several ways. One way is to click on the MemberID (name) in the upper left of this message. Then choose "Private Message" from the drop-down menu, and the rest is quite similar to sending an email.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
See my addition to my post above regarding PMs.

Re posting from 'mobile devices', I have never used an iPad, but I expect that its similar to an Android device.

Be aware that Beesource offers a "mobile" version that is formatted more closely to fit the characteristics of a mobile screen. The mobile version is the default when the Beesource server detects a mobile device. But .... ... if you are having issues with the mobile version, the regular 'desktop' version is just a couple of clicks away.

On the Android mobile version, to get to the Desktop version, click the menu box in the upper left, scroll down, and choose the "Exit Enhanced Mobile View" selection.

From my personal perspective, I am not comfortable with the Beesource 'mobile' version, so I run the Desktop version even on my phone. Yes, there is a bit more scrolling around needed, but I prefer it to the Mobile version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts