Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Connecticut. I just pulled a super of pure white capped honey. I probably could have pulled it a week or 2 ago if I was on top of things. The honey is almost clear. Easy to eat a lot of it because it's not over poweringly sweet. Best honey I've had, and Lightest colored I've ever gotten. Any idea what flowers this is from? Only available in early Springs and years when Spring comes early??

·
Registered
60 Posts
N1st, I had noticed the same in my honey supers. Very clear honey and the bees have some of the deep frames capped. I put honey supers on April 4th. Not sure what the nectar source is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm from Connecticut. I just pulled a super of pure white capped honey. I probably could have pulled it a week or 2 ago if I was on top of things. The honey is almost clear. Easy to eat a lot of it because it's not over poweringly sweet. Best honey I've had, and Lightest colored I've ever gotten. Any idea what flowers this is from? Only available in early Springs and years when Spring comes early??
could be off of black locust - that honey is water white and very very mellow, too mellow for my taste, but good as a sweetener in coffee when you actually don't want a stronger honey flavour in your cup. Oh yes, honey off of black locust is called acacia honey.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't from feed, I fed in March, put the super on Apr 17, and took it off May 31.

Thanks for the ideas.

Lac,
How many medium supers have your bees filled so far? I'm wondering how good of a year it may be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Normally I use all deeps for brood and honey supers. I was trying to keep things standard. I decided to make use of some mediums that were sitting on the shelf. So on my two strongest hives, I had supered with one deep that previously had drawn comb and a medium with wax foundation. Last time I checked the bees, they were drawing out some comb and filling with nectar in the medium. I was anticipating the bees would have gotten further along with drawing out the medium. Time will tell.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Reminds me of my uncle two years ago he took off some supers around the first of may and had some of the best looking honey he had ever seen it looked almost like sourwood he filled and sold all of the honey except 1/4 of a quart jar he started getting calls from people wanting some more of this honey.He said I tasted this honey and it was by far the best honey I've ever tasted and have no ideal what it was.(40+years beekeeper).P.S. My aunt gave me a tablespoon ful it was awsome but I've not tasted all kinds of honey to know if it was the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a few weeks behind you and the Black locust is coming in pretty heavy that would be my guess
I looked this tree up on the web. I can't say that I've ever seen anything quite like it around this area! I'm keeping every drop of this. I'm not even going to use it for cooking or candies, just graham crackers!

http://www.answers.com/topic/black-locust

1 - 12 of 12 Posts