Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I assume you mean the all plastic frames sold by Dadant. I have used crimped wired wax foundation in wood frames with great success and comparable Pierco plastic frames sold by Betterbee with only recent self inflicted problems. I also used uncoated plastic foundation, and the bees took forever before they drew comb onto it. Everyone I have asked about plastic foundation says that to get it without beeswax coating is a waste, and they shouldn't even sell it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
SuperFrames??? I am not understanding your question. Are you asking about plastic, supercell, or "super" sized frames like using a medium super frame in a deep box??:scratch:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Everyone I have asked about plastic foundation says that to get it without beeswax coating is a waste, and they shouldn't even sell it.
I use wax coated plastic with usually no problem. I have had them start to draw it out funky, but I just scrape it until they draw it out right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:doh:I'm sorry, It's BRUSHY MOUNTAIN BEE FARM that sells the SUPERFRAME. Here is a linlk to the web page:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Assembled-9-1_8-Black-Superframe/productinfo/228B/

They are available in 9-1/8", 6-1/4" and 5-3/8" sizes (not just for honey supers)

I had them confused with DADANT, who sells one piece plastic frame & foundation, and call it "EZ FRAMES". Obviously, you want to put the right size for the size box you are using.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Of course you need the right size for the box. The ther issue depends on if you care about cell size. If you don't, then take your pick. Other issues are that some hate plastic (the bees tend to not like it at first). You need to decide what matters to you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the one's I'm talking about are the brushy mountain superframes. They are wood frame with plastic, wax coated foundation. I can't see any difference in using these in the brood chamber than using them in the honey super. Do any of you use them? What about in the brood chamber?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts