Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had SHB. Found this beetle running around on the outside of the hive. Checked inside the hives and saw no evidence of infestation. Brought a couple home and compared them to photos and written description and it doesn't look like that's what it is. Description says that the adult SHB is about 1/3 the size of a bee, reddish brown or black and covered with fine hair. The photo shows that they're segmented and have bulbs on the end of their antennae. The beetle I've got is smaller, segmented, black and shiny and doesn't have those knobs on its antennae. I thought it might be varroa, but if it is, it's really big varroa! The bees don't seem to be bothered, but I'm so paranoid about SHB getting to this area. Anyone have any idea what they might be?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am afraid without a photo, there is not much folks can do. If you have one I will be glad to post it for you.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
A photo would help, but from your description, it doesn't sound like SHB. I've got a few photos of SHB in found in some NUCS that came from South Carolina:

http://home.gwi.net/gsferg/pics/bees/shb_top1.jpg

http://home.gwi.net/gsferg/pics/bees/shb_bottom1.jpg

You're in the area where SHB can live- here in Maine, they're an imported summer nuisance. Also, they don't fare well in a strong hive- the bees throw them out. The SHB I've seen are either in the hive on the frames, or on the bottom board or under the screened bottom. They're about the size of the head of a paper match.

George-

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, George, your photos look like the one I was using as reference. These are nowhere near the size of the head of a paper match--the biggest one I squooshed was maybe half that size. And I now see the SHB is segmented in two places; this beetle is segmented in only one. Besides, I really think those antennae set the SHB apart. I wonder what this one I have actually is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts