Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to bee keeping and just got my frist hive from exterior wall of house. There nice bees got stung 5 time durring the 4 hours to remove. With just a vale. Hive was 4'x2' roughly bees poured out as I used my bee vac 12lbs according to scale. Anyways enough braging.

most bees are black. Others had yellow strips on abdomen. Queen is jet black. Maybe dark european bees. Hive had lots of pollen almost no honey. Pollen was bright red

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Amazing you found the queen if you are new at this! Did you tie the combs of brood into frames? Some of that pollen tied into frames would help them get a good start. What kind of equipment did you put them in after you got them out of the wall. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using the 10 frame lanstroff hive. Probably spelled it wrong but I tried. I got all the pollen in hive tied 5 frames brood 5 mixed honey brood pollen. Used rubber band like I seen. I didn't put the empty comb in it just be cause its 2.5 inches thick and drawn out funny cause of obstructions. I have no photo didn't have a camara.

Oh when take out comb there were 10 to 15 SHBs in comb I popped them out but is itvsomthing to worry about also a single queen cup no royle honey just an egg. Think they where going to swarm. Bees where hanging out on wall but guy been messing with them

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
You have it under control! They were about to swarm if they had a queen cup with eggs. If you have a dark queen and a mix of colors of bees you undoubtedly have all American mongrels! But they wintered well obviously without help from anyone and I would be very pleased if they were mine. The dark bees could mean some old feral stock from the swamps or it could be from some neighbors carniolans or Russians, no real way of telling. Sounds like they were pretty calm for a cutout if they only nicked you a few times. I don't have SHB or chiggers to deal with because it gets cool in the winter so I don't know what to tell you about them. Good luck with your bees! I bet there going to be good ones.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well to day they took out a bunch of dead larva. Flew around the hive heavy like and drank 3/4 qt sugar water. My bull dog like to eat dead bee I found out so I bulit a fence around hive area. Tried to post a pic but can't make it work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts