Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a group start building a hive in a hole in my brick wall. I’ve looked all over but can’t find a picture that looks likes this. Does anyone know what kind they are? Thanks!
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Ingredient

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd say a yellow jacket. What part of the country do you live in?
If you mess with them they will sting the heck out of you. If you swat one they send out a signal for their sisters to come and sting you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m in northern delaware. I was hit by 57 ground hornets when I was 7 years old. No adverse reaction so I guess I’m not allergic but I’m not looking for a repeat lol. I just have to find a way to get that nest removed and seal up the hole I guess. Just curious as to what they were. I’d never seen a mud nest that looked like that. Thanks for the reply!
Shane

·
Registered
463 Posts
I’m in northern delaware. I was hit by 57 ground hornets when I was 7 years old. No adverse reaction so I guess I’m not allergic but I’m not looking for a repeat lol. I just have to find a way to get that nest removed and seal up the hole I guess. Just curious as to what they were. I’d never seen a mud nest that looked like that. Thanks for the reply!
Shane
Most likely an Eastern yellow jacket. They mainly have a nests in the ground but will nest in a cavity such as yours as well.
You can buy a yellow jacket trap at Lowes or Home Depot. Once you deplete them of workers the nest usually dies out. You could wait until cold weather to seal the hole, the queen should be the only one left if the nest has not died completely.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yellow Jacket. I am in Northeast Ohio and they are attacking my one and only beehive. I had a yellow jacket nest in my ceiling out in the mud room off my house over the front door. I found where they were going in and out at and took my wife's good turkey baster, filled it with Seaven Dust that I use in the garden and it quickly did a number on the hive and killed every living yellow jacket in it.I shot a few doses of that into the hole several times a day,during the day and in three days time,no more yellow jackets in my house.They walk over the dust and take it to the hive and groom each other and it just spreads death all through the hive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help! I’ve been sitting directly under them for the last few months and they haven’t bothered me yet. Think I’ll wait until it cools off a bit and go after them. Appreciate the replies!

shane

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the help! I’ve been sitting directly under them for the last few months and they haven’t bothered me yet. Think I’ll wait until it cools off a bit and go after them. Appreciate the replies!

shane
I wouldn't wait until it cools off. I'd go in and get them now. See, right now, they are coming and going all day long while it is warm so with the seven dust laying on their pathways, they will track that into their nest. I think that will be more effective for you.In fact,this same daytime treatment to rid the yellow jackets was mentioned at the beekeeper's meeting just yesterday when somebody else brought it up so it must be a good plan.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree. Destroy the nest now before the nest throws their reproductives for next years colonies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts