Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing these bees flying outside my house (Massachusetts) and just happened to see a dead one on my patio this morning. It's about 1" long.

What kind are they? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They fly a long way, very likely their nest isn't even on your property, so an exterminator isn't likely to get rid of them effectively. They can be annoying, but normally do not sting as long as you don't mess with their nest, which is usually a hole in the ground.
If you are concerned, you can buy wasp traps that work fairly well, and cost far less than having a guy come out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually see them getting in and out of my soffit through a small opening, so they’re most likely inside it. Plus, I’ve had issues with Yellowjackets before, just never this big. That’s why I didn’t even think they were Yellowjackets (plus their head is fuzzy).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
European hornet, not a yellow "from he!!" jacket
I think you are right. A local expert just said the same thing. What’s the best way to get rid of them if I can’t see or access the nest? They suggested dusting the entrance and into the hole and hoping they would carry the insecticide into their nest.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,178 Posts
Not sure where you are located but I imagine they would die out over the winter.
If you can access their entrance hole there is a foaming spay that works pretty good. If you can't access the entrance hole (too far up or away) Think about attaching some clear poly tubing that will fit onto the nozzle, then use a long stick or broom handle and tape the tubing to it. This will give you the extra reach to squirt in the wasp killer.

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
555 Posts
Technically is it not a bee, just not a honey bee? Asking for a friend😁
The short answer to your friends question is NO! They both belong to same the order Hymenoptera, but that’s where it ends. Genus Vespa, and Apis are quite different.🤠

·
Registered
Two - a single 10 frame box and a double 8-frame box.
26 Posts
We call them bell hornets. If you leave them alone, they don't bother people.

Bell hornets eat white-faced hornets, the black and white hornets with nests that look like a gray football. White faced hornets are extremely aggressive, and sting really hard and multiple times. They can really hurt you or especially kids.

Despite the fact that a bell hornet will eat a bee from time to time, I'd much rather have bell hornets around than white faced hornets or ground bees. (yellow jackets) In the end, a couple of bees getting eaten don't make any difference to my hives, but not having so many of the other hornets around is very good.

I also appreciate having a few wasps nests around in out of the way places. They do some good pest control, too. For some reason, there have been very few wasps in the last few years. Spider and tomato worm populations have been up as a result.

Everything has a place, when a good balance is achieved.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Also, the nest will likely die in the winter. However before to dying in fall, the nests produce hundreds or even thousands of queens, which mate then go into hibernation, to start new nests next season. If you kill this nest now, you also take those queens out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts