Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my bees yesterday, no biggy went well, I am 100% certain that I put everything back together correctly. I left for about 3-4 hours and when I came home I had a gut feeling to go check my hive. And even from across the pond between my house and my bees I could see that the hive was hugely messed up. The photo I took is exactly what it looked like when I got to it. My bees are sweet and friendly, but when I showed up it was attack-on-sight. Didn’t even touch the hive before they started swarming on me. Again I am certain I put the hive back together correct, in-fact you can see that it was moved because of the angle the strap is at. We had a bear sighting the day before not super far away. Theres at-least 3 deer that pass by each day, never touch the hive. I set up a camera on the tree next to it. Has anyone had something like this happen? Or maybe know another possible thing that happened? The super doesn’t have any drawn out comb. But its still heavy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Id be looking for bite marks on the backside of that lid personally, i could see a bear grabbing that top & trying to slide it open.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Who should guess without you posting your location?
Is this Colorado, Florida, or Texas?

Drunk kids or yeti - me thinks.
Always a safe bet because these are everywhere and the same.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would say bear, but do not know where you are and if you are in bear country.

I would look for signs on the ground.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
looks like a push and run, odd the hive bodies did not stick together enough to topple it instead of sliding.
agree with Greg,, kids
a bear would have had a feast unless a car or something scared it off.
if it gets demolished then I would switch my vote to bear, they do come back.

GG

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
To me, that looks more like a bungee cord than a strap. If it's deer or people, a real strap might do better for you. If it's a bear, the strap may not matter. Hopefully your camera answers the question before the hive gets any more damage from visitors.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
A leprechaun that followed the rainbow to find the pot 'o gold? But seriously, it looks like you have pea stone around the hives which may reveal if it was a bear. Take a close look tomorrow and examine the grass for signs of a trail. I had an avid hunter look at my apiary when I had a bear attack and he was able to determine it was a female with one cub. He showed me the route they took and a matted down area where he thought the mother bear had her cub wait while she did the dirty work. J

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wouldn't put it past bee thieves.

If its a bear you'll see tracks, bite or claw marks on the boxes. And bears would spill and knock over the boxes, not open them up like a 2 legged predator would. Michael Palmer and others have videos of bear damage, and they show that the bear just slams the boxes over smashing them and not bothering to open them. In those videos with bears, everything is blown to smithereens like a tornado passed through. Their thick fur also deters the bees from being able to stop them also.

You say a strap was opened up? A bear can't do that. And the box is evenly opened a bit.

There are 2 legged predators. Those kind would blame it on bears, maybe even spread it around that they are there, and then open up straps and box tops. But they might have quit half way when finding out they didn't have the right protection to do it without getting stung, or ran off when they were getting the **** stung out of them.

Looks like you can't discount the 2 legged predator possibility.

You could put up electric fencing, and also motion cameras.

This raises issues also on whether or not its safe to register your apiary sites with the state, because anyone can pull that data from their records and go to those sites.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts