Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please remember I'm very new to this. I've been reading of the many different styles of feeding. What is your prefered style of feeding? Do you prefer Hive-top feeding, entrance feeding, pail feeding, baggie feeding, frame feeding or something else? I've read about the pros and cons for the before mentioned feeders. What do you prefer in both new and established hives?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
pail feeders on top of the lids or open feeding from 5gal buckets for my outfit

·
Registered
494 Posts
I recommend either baggie or inverted mason jars to beginners in the classes I teach. They're cheap and easy. After you get a few hives though, frame feeders (w/ ladders) start looking pretty appealing. All those empty honey supers to encase the jars start to get unwieldy. Too many nasty hornet and jellowjacket robbers around here for entrance feeders.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
From hand to mouth.....Sorry I couldn't help myself:D, Me...I prefer not to feed but will in an emergency with either a hive top or inverted bucket or jar.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Last year, I used Mann Lake hive top feeders. If you have more than a few hives, hive top feeders get labor intensive. This year, I am using 35 gal drum community feeders for syrup.

Pollen sub gets put on the top bars of the top brood box.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Pail or jar on 2 inch hole in lid, no super around. I do not have to worry about freezing in Florida, except maybe this year, but I would not feed in a freeze when I do not want the bees to break cluster. Entrance feeder is the least desirable and the most robbed by other insects.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i love entrance feeders. no drowned bees. i have no problem with robbing because i put then on top of the frames then a empty super arround it.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
For new hives, Honey Householder opened my eyes to spraying combs full of syrup. You can put 2-3 gallons of syrup in a 10 frame deep.

For established hives, I like 3 gallon hive top feeders or open feeding. I want the least labor intensive way to feed.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I usually only have to feed a new package or a swarm. I have built custom boxes for nucs and hives to allow feeding with baggies. No robbing, no drowning, and easy to put more feed in.

Fuzzy

·
Registered
326 Posts
Done it all. Recommend the baggie for beginners. Last year I used one gallon glass pickle jars inverted on inner cover and surrounded by spare deep. Worked well, no drowning and can refill without smoking the bees. Currently feeding global patties for spring buildup (dealing with a terrible fall flow last year and I want to split this spring).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts