Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to share our trains in another post but thought it might be better to start one on other hobbies.

CHRISTMAS 2019 L.jpg christmas 2019.jpg
Here are 2 pictures of our trains from this past Christmas.
The Red covered bridge is 6' long and the light house is 3' tall.
I cut all 110 of the bents in the 45' of trestle.
About half of the town buildings are wood cut and built to 1/2" scale. ( 1/2" = 1' in real life)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Pretty cool Hoot!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My other "hobby" changes seasonally and depending on interests.

Some of my current other hobbies are:
gardening/yardwork - I have planted several fruit trees and expanded my berry patch in the last few years. I have slowly changing the yard to how I want.
spoiling my Neices/nepwhew - I have been sending them stuff to help keep them entertained while they are stuck at home.
Trains - A few months ago I finally started working on getting stuff together to put a train up in my kitchen and dining room. I have a 8 ft ledge around the kitchen, and have talked about putting a train up there for a while, so I am finally doing it.
Camping/hiking/backpacking - I enjoy getting out but don't get out as much as I would like. I have missed getting out this spring.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
I make Handmade Soap and some quilts that I sell at markets.
Gardening, I am currently looking to buy a farm- hard to find around here with out spending $$$$
Chickens- so cute, but I had to give mine away because of crappy neighborhood that were throwing rocks at them.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
Nice pics Hoot, you have way more patients than I .
Wood working, from building hive to chainsaw activities.
Hunting, fishing, camping.

GG

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work on buildings and other things over the winter.
2 years ago I built the Back to the Future train and car, with Doc and Marty.
This winter I built the Beverly Hillbilly's truck to run on the track.

fud
What scale train are you using?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Blacksmithing! I make wine bottle holders and volunteer at a historic 19th century forge. Extremely cathartic.

vlcsnap-2020-04-16-01h19m45s702.jpg

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
elmer fud
There is a 10' rule in trains. If it looks good from 10' away it works.

Akademee
I use to do blacksmithing but when the weather was nice I was working bees or teaching boy's camping with the Royal Rangers. ( AoG boy's program)
My sons weren't interested so I sold the hole shop. It's full of frames now.

This is the Beverley Hillbillies truck I built this winter.
Most of it is 3D printed and then painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
elmer fud
There is a 10' rule in trains. If it looks good from 10' away it works.

Akademee
I use to do blacksmithing but when the weather was nice I was working bees or teaching boy's camping with the Royal Rangers. ( AoG boy's program)
My sons weren't interested so I sold the hole shop. It's full of frames now.

This is the Beverley Hillbillies truck I built this winter.
Most of it is 3D printed and then painted.
Awesome detail there Hoot, and super paint. Did you model all that stuff yourself from 3D so it could be printed? Did you just study photos from the TV show to create the 3D models from scratch? That would be an incredible task I think!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hockyfan

I found most of the stl files on line. I don't do any designing for 3D printing.
I printed several pictures from the show and used them to model from.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm an EE so I used to do a fair bit of electronics hobby tinkering at home but any more I get more than enough of that at work and want to do something different at home. So now I do woodworking. I enjoy furniture making. I used to enjoy rock climbing a lot but I'm getting too old to enjoy it although I do scramble from time to time. I've been seriously considering getting a 3D printer.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Holy smokes! That's awesome. Bookmarked. I prefer to inspect on Sunday, but that says Saturday might be a better day.
This site tells me Sa/Sun is too cold to inspect.

Guess what?
I will disregard the advice as irrelevant and inspect anyway.

Good application development exercise (good for the IT resume, for sure) but it is missing the point of the beekeeping being a local affair (down to the micro-level) and a personal circumstance.

On this same note, I get ads about fishing simulator apps on my phone.
I will pass on this virtual fishing experience as the real fishing pond is only 10 minutes away by foot.
Real fish are biting like crazy.
:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts