Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contacted by a lady who was attacked by a hive of bees as she was shredding the weeds next to an old, old shed. The bees attacked her and she ran into the house. The bees then turned on 5 dauchshund dogs and killed four of them.

She has given me permission to capture the bees, cutout, etc.

My question is this: Do I even want these bees due to the aggressiveness of do I just kill them outright? Do I want these bees in my bee yard?

What do you think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would think if they are that aggessive they would be Africanized.
I think its time for an old shed to have a fire!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm sorry,,, are you kidding? They killed a domesticated animal. You want to maintain this genetic trait and allow drones to propagate it? Can't quite wrap my head around this. Maybe I'm missing something.
Rick

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can you trust that she correctly identified them as honeybees given she was probably panicked? Her work could certainly of stirred up a ground nest of wasps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out the shed and there are two different colonies of bees. The largest and closest to the shredding area occupies the two foot space between the 2x4 studs and runs upwards of four feet.

Bees are the reason, not wasps. She was hospitalized, treated with steriods and antihistamines and released.

The more I think about this, the more I think, they need "kill'en".

·
Registered
53 Posts
highly chance they are AHB. Spray them with soapy water.

If they killed four out of the 5 hot dogs, that would tell you right there you need to take them out! Soap them down! Just isn't worth it. Trying to requeen AHB isn't a smart move. They need to be destroyed.

I have 2 Dachshund, sad to hear what has happen. :(

Stay safe out there, let us know how it went.

-Drew

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Question aren't the Africanized bees smaller in size? :s
Nope. You have to sent them off to be genetically tested to get a true confirmation that they are AHB.

I had some bees this weekend get upset with me when I was weed eating around their hives. I stopped, put out a little smoke and all was forgiven/forgotten. I can't imagine a bee response that results in death.

I'd nuke that hive with soapy water. Feed any honey back to my other hives for winter feed and melt the comb down for wax. Use the brood for sunfish and blue gill bait. I wouldn't want that hive of bees but I'd use it's resources to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope. You have to sent them off to be genetically tested to get a true confirmation that they are AHB.

I had some bees this weekend get upset with me when I was weed eating around their hives. I stopped, put out a little smoke and all was forgiven/forgotten. I can't imagine a bee response that results in death.

I'd nuke that hive with soapy water. Feed any honey back to my other hives for winter feed and melt the comb down for wax. Use the brood for sunfish and blue gill bait. I wouldn't want that hive of bees but I'd use it's resources to the best of my ability.
OK Thanks, why the soapy water? What does the soap do to kill them? How much soap would be used? :s

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
There is no point testing them. You know you don't want mean bees and they have proven they are mean bees. There are mean European bees. There are mean AHB bees. Do you want mean European bees?

The soap causes them to suffocate as it creates a bubble over their spiricles and they keep rebreathing the same air. The up side of the soap is since it's not an insecticide it won't kill the bees who will come to rob out the hive after the residents are dead.

Feral bees are smaller. Both AHB and EHB feral bees are smaller...

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is no point testing them. You know you don't want mean bees and they have proven they are mean bees. There are mean European bees. There are mean AHB bees. Do you want mean European bees?

The soap causes them to suffocate as it creates a bubble over their spiricles and they keep rebreathing the same air. The up side of the soap is since it's not an insecticide it won't kill the bees who will come to rob out the hive after the residents are dead.

Feral bees are smaller. Both AHB and EHB feral bees are smaller...
Michael, thanks for the info. I have been to your site and learned much. :thumbsup:

Carlos

·
Registered
10 Posts

How would you harvest the brood for fish bait one at a time would be tedious, or?

Carlos

·
Registered
206 Posts
That poor woman! I feel sad for her and her dogs. As much of a temper that I have I probably would have done what another poster said and torched the shed. I'm just glad there weren't any kids in the yard. I'd wipe out those genetics in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just a thought, but I'm kinda shocked that this was a question. The reason I say that is, think about this. If you did capture this colony, would you be able to live with yourself if you brought it home and it hurt or killed someone else or their pet? Even in remote locations, someone, or something can happne across this hive. Let's face it, you could put up a million signs saying something to the effect of "no tresspassing" or whatever and some idiot is still going to ignore it and pass. Unfortuantely, we coddle these fools and protect them from themselves rather than let nature take it's course of natural selection. Even if N.S. does happen, then we take it to the next level and say "It's not their fault that they ignored the signs. It's not their fault that they are now dead, it's someone elses fault." In this particular case the arrow would be pointing at YOU. I know things are different in Texas, but here in California, you'd be hosed.
Also, another reason to keep them away from your bees is because they are aggressive, if they experience a dearth, they might start robbing from your hives and cost you more grief as they kill your bees off to rob them. Heck, I've heard that they can take over other hives and convert them to their own. Instead of one, now you have many.
However, it sounds like everyone has chimed in on the same side of the fence.....Nuke em!

C2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts