Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in my bee yard the other day, when I saw some faded writing on one of my hive bodies. It was in my mentor's hand writing. It said: requeened 04/92. Wow, I didn't realize I had a deep that old. Looking at that brought back memories of my mentor, now passed away ten years, and my first days of beekeeping working with my mentor. Anyone else out there have a piece of equipment that should have been past it s prime, but is still functional? Or maybe it's not even functional, but you just can't bear to part with it? Like my hive body I got from my mentor, I think I will hang it on the wall of my shed this fall.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Work for pair of 3rd gen beeks, one with his son just started a queen rearing biz(4th gen).

Going through old lids other week, boss commented on cattle brand HR on several. He had this look from far away, petted lightly. "Thats my paw paw's". I let him have a few seconds before I asked grand dads? Yup. I asked if he had any memories without bees, nope. Always had been. Dad too. We finished that day out 2 weeks ago.

Out of the blue, boss whips out his phone and shows pic last wednesday. His dad n aunt as toddlers, paw paw n me maw, standing proudly in front of a ford model A truck, hive, holdding a foundationless frame with comb. Later that day I asked if was ok of I bought some of those old lids. Ask the big boss, Iz got no idea what he wants for em, or even if he will sell.

Took several pokes n prods, managed to talk him out of 5 of the "HR" lids Friday.

Not mine originally, proudly part of my apiary now.

Still trying to get him to send me that pic to share here too.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My Woodsman smoker battered and and tinfoil thin from heating was bought in the seventies. We both had a long break or it would be long gone. I also have a hive tool from that era when they were made in America as Red Devil Paint scrapers. It has a perfect nail puller and is just so much better than the crap sold now.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have an 8 frame size extra shallow honey super set up for basswood square comb boxes. it has a brass tag on it for a bee supply house in boston mass., real old. also a smoker made in Vermont , late 1800, it looks to be hand made but has a factory stencil on it..

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have some of my Grandpa's old equipment. He stopped keeping bees in the 70's. I have his veil, and entrance guard/queen guard, foundationless frames, honey supers for box/comb honey, bass wood boxes, and other frames.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
We still have lots of boxes and no doubt a few frames that date, at least to the 1940's many considerably older no doubt. I have no way of knowing any longer. Lids don't last as long. My oldest are some made of redwood that have been used continuously since the early 1970's that have been renailed a time or two with new cleats. What great material that is.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
2nd Ed ABC/XYZ ( circa 1900) - Much hasn't changed, yet much has, comical at times - "the virgin queen on her wedding flight" :D.
50-60 yrs of hand-me-down "Gleanings" and "ABJ" mags - (maybe) - pared down to "useful" box - for sure.

AI Root smoker, (circa 1910 ?), still works fine...
Queen restrictor - entrance style, still in the old brown paper wrapper, no idea how old
Deep Lang 10 glass sided OH - came with a swarm
Hive scale - old mechanical lever indicator type
Med supers branded "Elliot", from the guy before the guy before me ( prior to the 90's)

Oldest? - probably the book

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Dang shared connection!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
We recycle the galvanized sheets of our old telescoping roofs on our new ones. The newspaper is commonly from the 1930's, but the oldest was in German script from the 1910's.

We have one of the oldest foundation mills, made by Mr. Olm of Fond du Lac, Wis.

I would say the oldest are the candle molds brought over in 1852 from Pappendof Saxony(Germany had not been invented yet), by my Gr. Gr. Grandfather.

Crazy Roland

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
I've inherited some frames that have A.I. Root stamped or burned on the top bar. Very high quality woodwork (smooth and finished all the way around). I'm guessing 60's at the latest and 20's at the earliest... I have some stuff I bought in '74. Not much of it is left though...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My oldest personal piece of equipment that I am aware of, is, my hive tool holster. It fits in the right rear pocket of my trousers.

This photo shows the one I made in 1961 and used until last year. Last year I found a local leather man (John Spoo) and he make me a new one. I had him make me two.

Wood

I recently found some comb honey wooden items that say Sears and Roebuck on the box. I think they were from the 1960's - 1970's.

I still carry the old one in my truck, and Saturday at Kelly Field Day, Phil Craft needed a hive tool, so I gave him the one out of the old holster.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Careful there norton. Nothing ever gets erased on the internet. I was going to say me. I don't think I have anything other than books that are older than me, but I have some boxes that are branded J.E.H. that were probably built in the 1970s.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Like many posts of the same thought I was going to mention stick with the worst part of my stinkin' back....In reality the oldest I think would be a few frames with the aluminum foundation and cell walls. From what I understand they have been "off the market" for 80 years. Not sure if that is true or not but the Antiques road show approved patina has all the grit of a hundred year old cowboy..

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Careful there norton."
But it is true - she has been useful far longer than any other of my belongings. Removes supers, extracts honey, bottles honey, sells honey and keeps all the cash for herself.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Who's the beekeeper in this relationship? From that description you are the oldest piece of equipment in her outfit. (just funnin' ya by the way)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts