Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of packages coming in April, I plan on making syrup, but also plan on giving them pollen patties, what all do you guys prefer, and why?

Thank you all!
Chris

·
Registered
685 Posts
Honestly, I don't like them.

Every time I tried giving them a patty, even a small bit, they basically ignored it long enough for hive beetles to find it. Nothing like opening up for an inspection and finding that not only have your bees not touched the patty, but that it is now a wiggling mass of beetle maggots to boot.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have been open feeding dry pollen substitute, soy flour, non activated nutritional yeast and nonfat dry milk 3-1-1 ratio. The bees will take it if no real pollen is available. I am thinking that they carry most of the pollen pattys out the front door and leave it at the curb.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so basically my attempt to go over and above is just putting my money towards raising hive pests.

·
Registered
914 Posts
CeeBee,

First, small hive beetles are not a significant problem in CO. I've never even seen one in all my years of beekeeping. I suggest that you join a beekeeping club and possibly go to a bee school. Do a search for PPBA.

I have always used Mann Lake's BeePro patties with good success. At this time of the year you may have to periodically remove them, add some water, run through a blender, seal in ziploc bags,
make knife slits on bottom, and place over hole in inner cover, and re-check in two weeks. Start this feeding in mid to late February (next year)

Welcome to beekeeping ! Wish you the best.

Steve

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
so basically my attempt to go over and above is just putting my money towards raising hive pests.
The guy above probably put them in during summer, bad idea, the bees arn't interested when natural stuff is available and hive beetles egg bomb them, making worm patties. Use in early spring, they can help boost brood production before natural pollen is available. My girls devored small pieces I put 1.5 weeks ago,

I use mega bee.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I like making my own using brewer's yeast and Beepro, mixed together (both available from Mann Lake - if buying one bag of each the total price delivers them, here without shipping charges), with granulated sugar, vegetable oil, and small amounts of various other items, as the mood suits me. I moisten this entire pre-blended mix with sugar syrup until it has the consistency that I prefer, then I squeeze it between sheets of waxed paper to make patties. I cut some slits in the underside of the patties as I place them on the hives. Sometimes I place the patties on little platforms of 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh.

I also find that despite some hives bringing in at least six different varieties of pollen, bowls of dry Beepro and Beepro/brewer's yeast mixed bring a great deal of attention, with the bees foraging them whenever the temperature is 50F or above, and it's light out. They are in plastic mixing bowls some of yellow and some of blue. They seem to prefer Beepro over the mix, but work both until I need to refill them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello,
I make mine from megabit. several reasons. Go to their web sight and read the results. I also, put in 4% canola oil buy volume and one tsp of "Complete bee" per finished pound. The bees jump on it and consume the whole patty in short order. Some use organic olive oil, very good, some use coconut oil very good, I stay organic on all of it.
I sell it ready made by the pound and the results and feedback are very good.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have used Bee-Pro and Ultra Bee from Mann-Lake. I like to mix it with sugar water until it is a moist cookie dough consistency. The bees eat it up quickly. I haven't had problems with hive beetle trying to eat the patty. I only put it on in the early spring and sometimes in the fall.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am not sure that Jerry Hayes isn't correct....we think they are eating them when actually they are just hauling them out with the trash......but it makes us feel good that we are doing something.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I am not sure that Jerry Hayes isn't correct....we think they are eating them when actually they are just hauling them out with the trash......but it makes us feel good that we are doing something.
if you look closely at the bees around the edges of the patty, you should see the bees actually consuming the patty. When the start hauling the patty out, it looks more like them sawing off chunks, and physically carrying it out the frount. I have seen both,

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I mixed up some MegaBee Powder last year and put it on 4 hives. I checked a month later and it was all gone. They may have eaten/stored it, they may have hauled it off.

I mixed some powder in some 5:3 syrup a couple months ago to see how they liked it. They seemed to love it.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I have read that soy yogurt added to patties will entice bees to consumed them, when they might other wise not touch them.

I also read several studies that adding livestock probiotics-LAB to bee feed will increase brood, bigger bees and stronger immune system.

Several protein patties now come with LABs.

LABs have also shown to kill EFB, AFB and Nosema.

LAB turns pollen into bee bread.

On a side note EOs kill LABs

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I'm waiting on Keith Jarrett to package up NutraBee for us little guys. I want some phat bees like he's got. :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
U should try getting local bees use to your pollen sources an not southern bees. I've yet to use anything other then sugar and sugar water.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a couple of packages coming in April, I plan on making syrup, but also plan on giving them pollen patties, what all do you guys prefer, and why?

Thank you all!
Chris
I buy bulk soft patties from Mann Lake. 1 box alone would probably be too much for a couple packages unless you keep feeding them year round (it's 45 lb. of pollen substitute).

·
Registered
703 Posts
I like beepro. I add honey and pollen to the mix as well but unless you know the source (preferably your own) I wouldn't use it. A good simple mix would be a 2:1 syrup then enough beepro to make a soft dough. If you can get a small bottle of Anise oil (health food stores have them usually) and add a drop or 2 to the cup (250ml) of suryp, it makes the patty many times more attractive to the bees.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts