Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow beekeeper found five half emerged drones on his landing board, Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Fellow beekeeper found five half emerged drones on his landing board, Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks,
Kevin
They were not ready to emerge yet so the workers have taken them out unless comb has been broken. Chilled brood could cause it, or mite damage.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Frank - I don't think he has opened the hive during this winter but I know for a fact he has not treated at all this past year. Are they too young to show signs of DWV?

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,540 Posts
I was also thinking chilled brood. If the drones are near the edges of the frame (often are) the bees may not have kept them warm enough

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Thanks, Frank - I don't think he has opened the hive during this winter but I know for a fact he has not treated at all this past year. Are they too young to show signs of DWV?
The wings are the last thing to develop so it might not be easy at that stage to see deformation.
It would not have to be hive opening cause chilling brood as Vance explained. A cold snap can cause the cluster to tighten in. I think they will sacrifice drones more readily than worker brood. An expendable commodity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts