Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
I am wondering if the grey stuff is some sort of grey pollen. I have seen white, yellow, orange, black, and lots of other colors so it may be something tray, or a mix of black and white. What color is the pollen that your bees are bringing in?

Here is a link with some pollen colors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pollen_sources

Keep an eye on the mite counts. One is not bad (in your count is low), but if it starts going up you need to address it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Their pollen pants have all looked yellow and orange. I hope you are right tho, it does appear to be in the same cells as the pollen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that's a relief. I try to have a plan before I open the hive but then I get it open, see something new and go dumb.

Registered
Plum, American elm and raspberry are also grey. It is Definately NOT varroa scat.
Elm trees are not native in Oregon, raspberries bloom later here after blackberry, and plum blooms have passed before May in Oregon.
Blackberries are our main flow ending soon, run between May 15th to July 15th. higher altitudes blossom at a bit later date.
Looks like the same blackberry I see every year.

Registered
Elm trees are not native in Oregon, raspberries bloom later here after blackberry, and plum blooms have passed before May in Oregon.
Blackberries are our main flow ending soon, run between May 15th to July 15th. higher altitudes blossom at a bit later date.
Looks like the same blackberry I see every year.
Oh So they don't have gray pollen? And that is varroa scat? The case in Point is. It was pollen!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts