Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out the other day and was looking at the hives... it's been WAY too long since I've looked inside them but weather and life isn't cooperating recently.

I did notice an odd substance at the front of the hive... what could this be?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I believe that you'd better open the hive. I'm thinkin' shb slime.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe that you'd better open the hive. I'm thinkin' shb slime.
Good idea to open, but since I didn't see any honey on the bottom board and a lot of bees still hanging around, I didn't suspect that. But, get in there and look immediately. If it *is* SHB, then you need to address what to do with the bees that have stayed and any unslimed frames NOW.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Cant answer 100% on the SHB slime...The one I had this year....it was just the frames inside that were slimed. I've never seen one outside but I'm a new beek and expeirence is still coming in.
From what that looks like TO ME......looks like maybe some animal may have shat in front of the hive?? Maybe when they were stung?
It looks kinda like that. Do what RWeaver suggested...whats it tast like? LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Likely the slime left by some types of mushrooms once they die out. I do not see any trace of the black slime on the landing, pointing to it coming from the hive....
Miha

·
Registered
109 Posts
It looks like some large critter has a new potty spot - in front of your hive. Might want to raise it up a little higher, too, so Pepe LePew can't get his paws in there and trigger absconding.
I have a fox who will paw and scratch the front at night. Had to sprinkle some hot chili on the ground to deter the little beggar. Am grateful he doesn't poop while he is shopping.
NBL

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I didn't see any honey on the bottom board
Nor did I but I was assuming a screened bottom. Anyway....the only way to tell for sure is to 'pop the hood'. Until then....it's anybody's guess.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nor did I but I was assuming a screened bottom. Anyway....the only way to tell for sure is to 'pop the hood'. Until then....it's anybody's guess.
Good call, yes screen bottom board.

The whole "apiary" needs to be completely torn down and set back up... it's terrible... you would swear it's abandoned. We just started getting swarm calls like crazy before I was ready and I had to do what I had to do.

Coupled with the fact that I'm lazy... hasn't got me started in getting it setup right.

Oh, and it's hot as hell in the south... so slaving away at "yard work" isn't what I want to do either. :)

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I am thinking you lost some honey or it is just some rotting matter from the hive. Do you feed at all? When you get a moment check that bottom box. Maybe there is a mouse in there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking you lost some honey or it is just some rotting matter from the hive. Do you feed at all? When you get a moment check that bottom box. Maybe there is a mouse in there.
There was a few bumble/carpenter bees and wasps (paper and red) buzzing around the hive the other day... it was odd to see so many around just this hive. Maybe it is a mouse down there.

Oh, and no, I don't feed anything, they have PLENTY of stores and we've had a pretty good flow going on for a while now.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Can't tell from the photo but a possibility could be a slime mold, also known by the delightful moniker "dog vomit fungus" (though is has now been deemed to not be a fungus.) I've seen them sprout seemingly overnight and in a variety of colors from very dark to a color more closely resembling the above mentioned alias to a very nice yellow. If it is indeed one of the slime molds, it could be at the end of its fruiting cycle when the very dark spores are released.

They are always a surprise to see in the garden (and the first time can be rather alarming) but they are harmless. I often find them on mulch or on the compost.

Or maybe it's something completely different.

Wayne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts