Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
With a swarm there is no telling unless you know it is a swarm from a particular apiary that has a certain genetic background. I just assume any queen from a swarm is a mutt. There are no big apiaries near me so I have no idea of where a swarm originated. What you want to focus on is her behavior-is she productive? Is the hive too aggressive where you have to suit up, tape your pants legs closed, and wear gloves?
Here in Georgia, it is recommended by the Dept of Agriculture to re-queen any swarms caught to ensure the swarm queen is not carrying African bee genetics and then passing them on. .
This is an Italian queen (per the apiary that sells them):

This is a Carniolan queen:

This is a Russian queen:

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
No way to tell the genetics without the genetics testing.
That is your only choice.
Forget the looks and such - those are never more than a mere suggestion at something.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,139 Posts
That there is a European Honey Bee lol

Heritage is far less important to me than the traits they give. I don't care if my queen is purple as long as she does well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
that tiger stripping sure is pretty!....all our bees in the u.s. are mutts... shoot they are finding AHB genes in feral bees around Columbia University in Ithaca NY. unless your getting something from Sue Colby herself...its a mutt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts