Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there some discussions on different ways to handle this problem? What to do with honey bound Deeps??

What it the best way to free up space in the deeps?

I try to run two hive consisting of two deeps each and two med supers.

I had this problem last fall.

Friday I pulled 8 deep frames of honey and 12 frames of med supers out of 40 plus 8 deep frames of honey. Both hives have filled up the deeps and ignored the suppers for the most part. Plastic queen excluder.

How do you best handle this? Jim

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Common problem. Have you tried baiting the supers? Its difficult with deeps and med supers. You could try dribbling heavy syrup on a few frames. Brood will bring them up too. Some add a temporary frame attached to the deep frame so it fills the space in the deep below. A hassle, I know.
Some will remove the QE, add an upper entrance.
If you have a freezer, you can freeze and extract or put back on hive after the season is over. Of course, you can extract now and put them back in. J

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't use queen excluders. For my stronger hives this year which I checker boarded into 3 deeps I've had to extract deep frames.

·
Registered
215 Posts
One solution is to run single brood box- then they can't afford to store honey there :) In your case see if you can create a deep super by moving full frames above the excluder. That is if you do not want to extract now. If you move one brood frame there as well, then for sure they will move up through the excluder and hopefully will start working your mediums.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts