Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ever see one of those deep sea diving suites with the air hoses running to a aircompresser. I don't think AFB could sting through them, but being in a metal suite in AZ. might not be a good thing,:scratch: unless they could run AC through those hoses.:D Just kidding, couldn't help my self. Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will requeen the hives once i can get close. I have found a few feral hives out in the desert. and would like to work them. They look very strong!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've never owned a bee suit...if I have a hive too hot to handle, I requeen. I always use a veil and occasionally gloves. fwiw.

·
Banned
578 Posts
I buy the lightest weight, largest suits I can find. My wife says that is so the bees have room to fly around inside. I wear the suit over just briefs and nothing else, and it is to keep the sun off and keep cool, not to protect from bees. It also keeps the the honey and propolis off my skin. Oh, and I always wear sandals, too, unless it is cold or raining.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Go to the top see the picture of a guy in a bee suit called ventilated bee suites Top Rated.
Mash it and it will bring you the the location:D

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
"I've never owned a bee suit"

re-queening that hot hive must be quite an adventure:)

Dave
A lot of smoke... but I really hate it when I get nailed between the shoulder blades on a sweaty, hot summer day. :doh:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just wear a suit of white cotton coveralls. They will stop 95% of the stings. A friend of mine got one of the nylon bee proof suits, and he and I worked together is doing a very minor cutout. He got so hot in the nylon, that he almost had a heart attack. In fact, I think he did have one. So, keep that in mind, if the temperatures are warm. I get thoroughly soaked, from sweat,in my cotton coveralls, and I just wear a tee shirt and shorts underneath it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
(The OP probably has bought his bee suite by now, but for others researching what bee suit to get: )

I have an UltraBreeze bee suit. It wasn't cheap, but it is well-made and I have never been stung while using it. In the summer, I wear just my underware under the Ultrabreeze and stay realtively cool.

IMHO, the Ultrabreeze was well worth the cost and I'd buy another if something happened to my first one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts