Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago I noticed scout bees hovering in increasing numbers near my dryer vent. There's no nectar source there, but I had many bees checking that space out.
We blocked that vent and put a bait hive near by (old box, old frames, no foundation). Soon I had a bunch of bees visiting the area, with maybe a half dozen fanning near the entrance.
Yesterday I noticed bees tumbling to the ground fighting each other. There's nothing to rob.
Today I have around a dozen bees on the box and hovering near the entrance. I peeked inside and don't see any new comb, no large number of bees, nothing.

What's happening?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Scout bees will defend a good nesting site against other scouts that are not from their colony. You may have a swarm about to move into your bait hive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's potentially exciting. Of course, this box is NOT the swarm box I put out with nice frames, some foundation, and up in a tree where bees are supposed to live. It's by my garage door right off the driveway. We're moving it by increments away from such a ridiculous area.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
How long have you lived in your house? Reason I ask is that it is possible there was a colony there some time ago and they smell it and are attracted to the area. J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Third year in this home, fourth year owning it. I don't think there's been a colony in that area before. There's not really a good wall for them to get into; just the garage on the other side and about 8 feet of dryer hose to the laundry room. I'd have noticed them for sure, but I suppose it's possible there's older residue somewhere. The house was renovated at least three times before we got it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Scout bees will defend a good nesting site against other scouts that are not from their colony. You may have a swarm about to move into your bait hive.
I would make sure there are no cracks or crevices around the vent, leading to a cavity, by sealing everything up around the vent. I would also leave the swarm trap in front of the vent.

·
Registered
11,726 Posts
They go where they want. Block the vent, put a bait hive there with dark comb, and once the swarm moves in, move it that evening once all the bees are inside, you can move it to anywhere, new swarms will have no problem re orienting the next day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today when I got home from work there was a lot of activity by the old box. An hour later husband told me to go look, there were a lot of bees. The upstairs neighbor texted, "Girl! You've got a swarm!" The largest swarm I've ever seen moved in to the box today. I'm so excited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts