Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend just sent me two photos of two different hires with bees grouping up on the side and on top. Did a split a couple weeks ago so new queen should of just emerged. Ideas?
Insect Beehive Pollinator Apiary Wood
Pollinator Insect Wood Plant Rolling
Pollinator Insect Wood Plant Rolling

Registered
How were the splits made? i.e., More than one cell per colony? Did you load them with nurse bees? My ideal would be first queen out gathered a court & swarmed? But it is just an idea based upon limited information.. Have you looked through the ball to see if there is a queen or virgin queen?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had a hive with swarm cells that he divided and placed with the splits. No idea how many cells in each box. Did shake extra nurse bees in each box. He was going through the ball looking but I haven鈥檛 heard back. It鈥檚 been cold and rainy until today. 70 degrees and sunny now.

Registered
He had a hive with swarm cells that he divided and placed with the splits.
Based upon that & how none of them in the pictures seem to be bearding on the entrances, I would just assume that it鈥檚 a virgin that hatched (might be hard to spot by going through the cluster) & gathered a court, & collect/house them in another nuc. But that鈥檚 just me;) Worse case scenario they come back & collect in the same spot? Best case scenario, you get two additional colonies? They could also be a swarm from the mother hive?

Reactions: Tarheeler

Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
How were the splits made? i.e., More than one cell per colony? Did you load them with nurse bees? My ideal would be first queen out gathered a court & swarmed? But it is just an idea based upon limited information.. Have you looked through the ball to see if there is a queen or virgin queen?
Exactly my first thought.

Been the victim of too many swarms following splits to be fooled again. Now I make sure to add a lot of space and knock down all but two cells.

Had one swarm 4 times after I split it this year, simply way too many cells.

As such, I'd treat the ball like a swarm and get them into a nuc/hive and check for a virgin queen.

Registered
Ya that's what I'd do, too. I've done one queen cell split already but that was because the one hive's queen seems on her way out and they want to supersede her. It was such a huge cell I couldn't resist splitting with a few frames of brood/food. I'll check in a day or so to see if they've made another queen cell. If so I'll let them be. I have another hive with at least 3 queen cells being finished so that's another split likely this weekend.

Registered
New hives. Hope you have some drawn comb to put in a nuc because there's queens to be had. As others have said, they wouldn't be balled up like that if there wasn't a queen. I just had a friend call me because he had the same thing on one of his hives that had queen cells inside. Used it just like a swarm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts