Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use it in my bettle traps bellow my screen board. It works great last longer and is cheaper than veg oil. It is not a posion. It does dehydrate insects when they come in contact with it. There is a food grade so you can like your finger when your done.
Marty

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I know it dehydrates soft bellied critters, like slugs, & snails. By cutting their underside. Because the particles are sharp.

Does it actually work on hard shelled bugs like the Beatles?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Does it actually work on hard shelled bugs like the Beatles?
With the given precautions, my guess is the only way it will affect exoskeletal insects would be through them actually breathing the DE.

DE is very dusty and can cause lung problems if breathed heavily, so when applying it dry always wear a good dust mask or stand up wind.

FYI DE sold for swimming pool filters is ineffective for insect control because it has been heated and chemically treated. It won't kill insects and it is very dangerous to breathe. Natural and food grade DE will kill beneficial insects too, so use it sparingly to kill problem infestations of harmful insects.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I tried DE on adult SHBs by putting some in a bottle with adult beetles and 3 days later the little buggers were still alive :(

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
:eek:t:Wow which did that rabbit go, we are way off the orginal question but another thing I did with it, I had some frames in an observation hive that were "eat up" with SHBs and I put them in a nuc with DE on the bottom board, it killed the larva all the larva SHB and bee larve because the bees faned it all over the box

1 - 15 of 15 Posts