Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this mentioned in a few threads but did not find it listed in the beesourse glossary. What is it, is it bad or good, and what does it mean for the bees and their keeper?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
"bearding" to me basically means when the honey bees goes outside the hive to hang out when the weather is hot and they want more space and ventilation!

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I wouldn't know. Ever since I switched to either screened bottom boards or ventilation supers, I haven't seen one :).

·
Registered
706 Posts
its when I have not shaved in a few weeks:lpf:
I look at it like if I wanted to relax on the front porch on a summers day. and enjoy some down time.

·
Banned
840 Posts
bearding is what happens when I not bee shaving.

Honeydreams stole my thunder.

temperature is likely the biggest motivation for bearding. a wall of crawling, fanning wings trying to draw air through the hive.

Big Bear

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bearding is when you know darn well you painted your hive bodies red but seem to have changed color to a yellowish brown.

Oh wait, maybe that's swarming.

Whatever it is, I had it last week... and it wasn't pretty. Added another super and all is well. The hive bodies truly are red!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If there are many bees on the outside of the hive but they all seem to be cleaning, does that mean they're not bearding? Or are they using the cleaning as an excuse to get out of the hot house?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
So Konrad your saying that your bees was committing suicide that day and the ones that are in the snow on the ground succeeded???? :lpf: So why did you have one in January??? Did you close the door and left them outside??...hahaha
LOL...
I have really no answer to this one, I have never seen them bearding in summer, winter yes.
Guess they felt like suntanning a bit.
Anybody seen this phenomena in winter?

Konrad

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
hahaha...Thats the first time i ever seen them do that with snow being on the ground! You would think that they would stay inside where its warm!

·
Registered
706 Posts
right after a very bad cold snap my bees did bearding 34 deg out and bearding. All be it was 10 deg for over a week.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
maybe they were tryin to eliminate moisture in the hive by fanning??? Dont know we dont see many days that cold here, but I agree with a previous post, since we switched to SBB we dont see much bearding here in hot sunny Florida.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts