Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched a video that stated they left 80 pounds of honey stores for each hive. Is that accurate. Or is it climate variable?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The amount of honey needed in the hive to successfully overwinter is most definitely variable by climate. Check with a local beek to see how much is needed for your area.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Climate is a big variable, but so is the strain of bee.

My russian/carniolan/? mutts generally consume between 30 to 50 pounds. My Italian/? mutts go through about 60 to 70 pounds. I ususally aim for about 80 to 90 pounds just to be safe, but I worry less about the russian/carniolans running out of food...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What about the location of the honey in relation to the cluster? My Italians starved out even though there was honey withing inches of them. They went to the top of the frames and that was it!
I am planning to keep a medium super atop of the two deep brood nest until sometime in September. I am hoping that the workers will move the stores down for the winter. I am also getting a frame type feeder to feed back some surplus honey I am saving in the refrigerator. Any recommendations? Is that a viable plan? Oh yeah, now I have russian/carniolians this year.

·
Registered
435 Posts
With the climate here in central Ms.It takes about 40lbs. to over winter. But there will be warm days in Jan. when i can do some communal feeding to make sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts