Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to get a -capping machine What is a good one Im looking a a Cohan or Maxant

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
How big are you? how many hives are you running? Until you have enuf to justify such an expense I would encourage anybody to go low tech, hive tool, scratcher, hot knife, on up to the machines when you get to where you need them.

I haven't been around one yet that wasn't noisy. Some less so than others. I like to be able to hear the radio while extracting.

Other than that I recommend seeing Maxant's machines, and any machine at work before buying one. Cowens are great. Do you have a steam generator?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Don't really need a steam generator with the Cowen. We operated one for several years with a hot water heater turned up to about max temperature and a small recirculating pump like you use in your house to keep hot water at point-of-use. Or you can get electric heated blades. We have an older model right now with the electric blades; works good. Like sqkcrk says though, you don't need this equipment until you're extracting a bunch of hives. An electric uncapping knife will handle 100 + hives, no problem. Then look for good used equipment; many older beeks are leaving the business with nobody to replace them. The equipment is pretty bulletproof with the exception of motors and motor controls which are easily replaced.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would be looking for a machine that will get the job done quickly, but you are at the mercy of your extractor. 35 hives at 3 supers per hive and lets say 9 frames in each super = a lot of work. Now if you are like me you want to get the extracting done and finished, so with that in mind, make sure you get the right machine. Find yourself a older Cowen Silver Queen, make yourself a small boiler, run the knives off steam although hot water will do just fine. I run about 100 hives, my Silver Queen does just great, but my extractor is marginal.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a Cowen Mini Uncapper and loved it, like an idiot I sold it to get rid of a melter I hated. Now I'm looking for another one....:doh:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I just bought a kelley vibrating knife. How is this normlally set up? Where can I see a video or get a manual? Any help welcome.

Dickm

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the Cowan Silver queen with kelley's electric knives. I bought mine new (5 grand) but would not trade it for anything. I run 150 hives and what was taking 6-8 hours I now do in 2. Well worth the expense to me.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I have around 35 hive to extract.
Not to take a sale away from anyone, but imo 35 hives doesn't need a machine for uncapping. In the whole season, how many supers will you be uncapping? 70? 140?

I really think that you will be just as happy w/ a hot knife or even a scratching tool. I have a friend who has 1,000 cols and he has a station where one guy uses a steam hot knife and then another station where another guy stands, who uses a hive tool to uncap frames. This way they can both be working at uncapping while the one extractor is running.

I'd go for the hive tool or cappings fork, used as a capping scratcher. maybe when you have 135 or 235 colonies, then move up to a machine.

Oh, yeah, another thing is that machines can be noisy and eventually break down. Some folks say, "Yeah, that's the sound of money being made." Your hive tool will never break down and is alot easier to replace.

My 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts