Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While strengthening a hive that was robbed a few days ago I discovered that if you hear a bee buzzing and the pitch, volume or direction doesn't change it's in your hood.:eek:

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
A bee in your bonnet is disconcerting but a long way from the heart. Just turn to face the sun and odds are it will get in front of your face where you can see to deal with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A bee in your bonnet is disconcerting but a long way from the heart. Just turn to face the sun and odds are it will get in front of your face where you can see to deal with it.
Just don't make the mistake of smacking it real hard with your hive tool.... I saw a guy do that once.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The first time I put on the netting and tended bees, I didn't have it zipped alll the way. Had about 10 inside with me and only stung twice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is the kind of stuff I love to learn ahead of time. LOL

I've see guys swat a mosquito with their tire irons which changing a tire on their Model T. About the same results as using a hive tool. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I actually had this happen on my third attempt catch a swarm, and after the very first shake of the clump, one was small enough to end up getting into one of the vent holes in my hat (which has since been taped up) and although quite alarming, I knew the inevitable conclusion would be a sting because she was caught in my hair. . . I just waited for it (after throwing my veil off) and sure enough. . . ouch. I've honestly since stopped wearing the veil and with proper smoke and making sure the girls are having a good day, I've only ever been popped once (on the nose) and it's worth the risk because it gets freaking hot in that setup.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You are almost as safe when they are flying around inside the veil as you are when they are outside. Once they find that they trapped inside the veil, they are more interested in getting out than stinging. Go ahead and finish the job with bees in there with you. Have had them sting me when I turned them loose by pulling the gear off - after the job was done.
Walt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You must have better concentration than I do Walt. I never feel comfortable swimming with sharks either. Mom always said I lack focus.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just don't make the mistake of smacking it real hard with your hive tool.
Felt something crawling on my leg and went to brush it off with the hand holding the hive tool. Now just so happens I had just put a nice Arkansas hone edge to the hive tool and it was sharp as a razor. Well ended up putting a 3" gash in my leg. :eek: That crawling feeling??? :scratch: It was my string dangling from the viel and brushing against my leg. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,149 Posts
Felt something crawling on my leg and went to brush it off with the hand holding the hive tool. Now just so happens I had just put a nice Arkansas hone edge to the hive tool and it was sharp as a razor. Well ended up putting a 3" gash in my leg. :eek: That crawling feeling??? :scratch: It was my string dangling from the viel and brushing against my leg. :rolleyes:
Are you cleaning fish with your hive tool or what?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I saw an article in Bee Culture the other day on sharpening a hive tool... but why? When they are sharp they tear up the boxes more and they tear up your pocket more, and the hurt you more... they are much better dull... If you want a knife, pull out your knife...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You are almost as safe when they are flying around inside the veil as you are when they are outside. Once they find that they trapped inside the veil, they are more interested in getting out than stinging. Go ahead and finish the job with bees in there with you. Have had them sting me when I turned them loose by pulling the gear off - after the job was done.
Walt
You're right there, Walt. Once they figure out they're trapped inside, they don't care about anything 'cept getting out. The two that stung me were ..one got caught in my hair and one I squeezed along me neck by accident when I tried to give her more room. One even was in my ear telling me the latest buzzz......but never stung me.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Right again, MB, (maybe still). I told Kim years ago, that his comment about keeping a hive tool sharp just showed he was an inexperienced beekeeper. He didn't keep bees at the time. Hired as a wordsmith. He stopped signing off with that statement for a while, but he's back to it again. And he obviously approved the published article.
Walt

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I don't try to shave with it, but I like my hive tool to be sharp on both ends. I guess it's my inexperience showing.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
MP -Also correct. It's the flat end that digs into the wood of a top bar, if it's not at the perfect angle of attack.

AR B
With 37 years, you win. I Yield.
W

·
Registered
638 Posts
Are you cleaning fish with your hive tool or what?
LOL No...it was just so super dulled that I had gone and put an edge back on using my Arkansas hone. Well my woodcrafting skills came into play and fore I knew it....I had an edge. As for tearing up wood with it...well yeah but Duhhhhhh........smart enough and spent enough hours working wood I know WHAT to do and what NOT to do. Havent put an edge on it since but I threw it out there cuz the topic was doing dumb things and what one learned. Bout the same time I caught myself with the pressure washer right on my hand....got a nice wobbly 6" scar from that one too! So...dont smack yourself with a metal tool and careful of the wrong end of a pressure washer!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a 2" slit in the netting on my hood and it took me a while to figure out how the bees were getting in. I kept retaping my ankles, haha. I did eventually find and close the hole, but by then I had learned to tolerate bees crawling on my face... except for the one that tried to go inside my nostril! Gotta draw the line somewhere!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts