Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm from Central Washington State. I've been reading the forums here for quite some time, but just recently registered and now posting my intro.

I have several hives, but only three currently on my property. It's been a very tough winter here, and as the reports are coming in, losses are devastating. Some losing all of their hives. Commercial operations with 90%+ losses.

I'm fortunate that I lost only 1 hive. The rest seem to be doing well.

I've only been doing this a couple years now, but I love to read and I have a couple awesome mentors that are always available to answer questions and give advice.

All of the hives I have are traditional Langstroth 10-frame, 2-deep brood box configuration. I use a frame feeder when needed.

I am not treatment free or an "all-natural" beekeeper, although, if the science gets to that point that it's viable, then I would switch. Although I know some have made it work, I don't have unlimited time or money to keep throwing at it until something works.

I typically treat with AO in the fall, and monitor my mite load typically about once a month between April and October. This year, the symptoms of Nosema were apparent, so I'm treating for it now with Fumagilin-B. I'm also giving DFM's (Direct Fed Microbials) a shot this year to improve overall bee health, but that might be snake oil, but it's worth a shot.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro.

Have a great day,

Thunderbolt

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum Thunderbolt!
Commercial operations with 90% losses ... wow! I hope these guys are not your mentors :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts