Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removed this frame that is like the rest with no honey and bees that don't fly. The hive was active a week ago then less activity so when I opened it up there are dead bees everywhere and no honey in brood boxes or super. I have five other active hives what to do with this one that is dying. Unable to upload pics. They show bees working their wings but only crawling about. There are some capped brood cells and empty cells of honey.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Sounds like they got robbed, or just ran out of honey, and are starving.

What to do? Well, sounds like they urgently need some food. Problem being, if you feed them they are likely to get robbed. My suggestion would be move them to a different location (you may have a friend, relative, or workmate, a mile or so away who could babysit your hive for a month). Take a comb of honey from another hive and put it in the hive right next to the surviving bees, and make the entrance small, just one bee wide.

But right now, today, you need to stop the bees that are still alive from dying, do that by dripping a little sugar water on them. This is urgent. It's like if you see a guy dying of thirst you don't wait 3 days to give him water cos he'll be dead. In the same way, don't wait 3 days to give these bees some sugar water.

EDIT - I now see the pic you have added to your post, is that how many bees are left in the hive? If so, it is not saveable. And yes, looks like they starved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My other hives have honey in the supers and I have a field each of clover, buckwheat, and mustard less than a hundred yards away. I rather think they have a wing virus. Never the less I am moving the hive in the AM to another part of the farm for isolation purposes as I suspect a virus.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
That's all good. But if there is zero food in the hive, as per your picture, also feed them, regardless of what the other hives have, or what is in the field.

Over to you though of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts