Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive I started as a package this past spring. Deep bottom with a medium on top. about 6 weeks after starting the queen came up missing. I requeened and all seemed well. Only thing concerning was everything was happening in the medium, brood, pollen, etc. they have done very little in the
deep, most of the frames have not been drawn out. About 2 weeks ago I did an inspection and try as I might I could not locate the queen or any activity of laying. Bottom deep still barren. I requeened using one of the frames that you put the cage in and set in like a frame. I put her in the bottom deep. 5 days later I checked her and she and all of the attendents were dead in the frame part of the cage. I noticed the cage part of the frame was a little larger than the small cage she was shipped in. What could have happened? I wonder if the bees could hve killed her and the attendents through the screen. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Really interested in what others have to say, but my guess would be starvation.

Maybe since they were isolated in the lower deep by themselves, the existing bees in the hive were indifferent to her and thus paid her little attention... I would think that there may be something else afoot here, such as a laying worker or a lousy queen already in the hive.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
The first two things that stand out are the queen should have been where the nurse bees are, that could be the bottom super or 3 deeps up. A little less disconcerting is, new queens (and new hives) should be left undisturbed for two weeks. It is like picking at a scab. it will never heal and you will probably get an infection. There is probably more to this situation. They more likely starved, or even hypothermic if the nights are cool enough, than anything intentionally killing them, or even noticing they are down there. The hive has too much room if the bottom super is untouched. Pests and intruders, like wax moths and small hive beetles can overtake the hive from the bottom up. They cannot defend or climatically maintain the environment you have generously provided.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3 hole cage with candy was still in the frame so I'm curious if starvation could still be the cause.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Typically you don't add the second box until 80% of the frames in the first box are drawn, & in use. If the upper box is all drawn, & loaded with bees, I'd suggest reversing you're brood boxes to put the empty one on top.
Are you sure the hive doesn't have a young virgin queen running around in it. If so they won't except the one you introduce. A week or 2 would answer that question for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts